I am running the York 10K on Sunday August 3rd to raise awareness for a wonderful charity, Papyrus (Prevention of Young Suicide) - whose aim is to shatter the stigma associated with suicide. I am running with my dear friend Kate Cleal, who lost her beautiful daughter Lily on December 6th last year.
In the aftermath of a recent breakup, tragically Lily’s emotions overcame her and in despair she took her own life. It was an impulsive suicide where circumstances where against her. Over 300 people came to Lily's memorial service on 4th January 2014. That Lily had so tragically died so suddenly was unbelievable to all and completely unexpected.
In the depths of grief Kate and her family turned to PAPYRUS for support and to learn too late how prevalent suicide was amongst the very young.
Every year 600-800 under 24s take their lives. In England and Wales 24,000 suicide attempts are made each year by 10-19 year olds - one every 20 minutes.
Teenage suicide is a taboo subject that needs to be brought out into the open. We want to work to remove the stigma associated with suicide. With funds and support Scotland have reduced their suicide rate by 18%. It is preventable. Your donation will help!
PAPYRUS aim to:
· Reduce Stigma associated with suicide
· Increase Awareness of young suicide and how to help prevent it; this involves speaking in schools, colleges and community organisations
· Campaign as a UK charity to prevent young suicide
· Listen and Learn - supporting/disseminating research/knowledge
· Contribute to local, regional and national suicide prevention strategic action
Thank you for your donation xxxx