Weʼre raising £900 to help fund my Sri Lanka Midwifery Elective Placement 2019
- Leeds, UK
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Hi I'm Amy, a Second Year student at University of Bradford. In August 2019 I will be travelling to Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka for three weeks with Work The World for my Midiwfery elective placement, an essential part of this year.
Throughout my training so far I have learnt and developed many skills within maternity care, I have also had the privilege of being a part of several wonderful moments with women and their families. There have been many times when I have been reminded of the reasons I chose Midwifery - to help women to feel empowered and receive the care they hope for and deserve.
During my time in Sri Lanka I hope to observe the differences in care compared to the NHS system that the UK currently possesses. Due to the services being less developed and harder to access in some cases, the care that I will be observing will reinforce and remind me of the importance of the basics of maternity care.
What your donations will go towards :
In total, I will be paying roughly £3000 for this experience. The initial cost for Work The World is £1940 for the 3 weeks, this covers accomdation, food, transfers to/from airport and the organisation and cost of the placement itself. I have chosen £900 as my goal as this is roughly how much my flights will cost.
- Whilst I am in Anuradhapura I would like to buy some items for the hospital that they require but may not have the funds for, such as alcohol hand gel - something we take for granted in the hospitals here.
- Accommodation – Work the World provide my accommodation, meals, language lessons and 24-hour support and security during my stay.
- Flights, transport and Visas.
- Insurance – this covers everything from travelling to health security if necessary.
- Immunisations and medical necessities – There are several immunisations I will need before travelling that may not be covered by the NHS including tetanus and face masks for when potentially working with patients who have TB.
I chose Sri Lanka as my elective as I want to challenge myself, not only in an academic and practical way but also to travel alone and be independent. I hope to have the opportunity to explore the local culture and learn lots of skills whilst there, I might even pick up a few words and phrases! The experience will give me a new outlook on the health system that I am training and will soon enough be working in and help me develop my core, basic Midwifery skills - the skills that underpin all of my practise.
I am extremely excited to experience this once in a lifetime opportunity!
All contributions are hugely appreciated no matter how small!
Please feel free to share my funding page.
Share this story
Updates appear here
Amy Vollans started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Crowdfunding stories like this
About the fundraiser
I'm Amy, a Second Year Midwifery student at University of Bradford. In August 2019 I will be travelling to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks to volunteer in a maternity ward, this trip is an essential part of my course.