Weʼre raising £5,000 to help fund the final 2 clinical years of my Graduate Veterinary Degree
- London, UK
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Hello, and thank you for reading this!
This is a plea to help me raise some funds, to help get me through my final clinical years in my Veterinary Medicine degree at RVC, the 3rd top vet school in the world. I would never normally ask for direct donations; being an independent and self-supporting person is incredibly important to me. However, my original fundraising platform on EasyFundraising required that the donator does online shopping and it appears there are some very generous souls out there who wanted to help me with some direct funds instead - so I set up this page to enable that!
--- So why do I need money for this? ---
I’m doing Veterinary Medicine as a graduate already holding a fantastic 2:1 degree in Zoology from the University of Nottingham. As such, I get absolutely no loans from the government to fund the £9000/year tuition fees and almost £13,000/year living costs in London! I’ve exhausted all options for additional financial aid, my immediate family is supporting me as much as they are able to, and the nature of the degree means full-time placements, so no time for a part-time job either. The fact is that money is desperately needed right now, and i'm missing out on so many educational opportunities, so I am asking for your help.
Through EasyFundraising on average a student could raise £864 per year with 8 family or friends supporting them just by doing their normal online shopping! With your donations via Just Giving too, this is a huge amount of money that would be invaluable to me in so many ways:
- Clinical text books at £150 a pop! 📚
- Accommodation for my compulsory 26 weeks of EMS placements in various vet practices around the country. These aren’t subsidised by the university in any way so hundreds of miles of travel and B&B's really add up. 🚗🏨
- Travel to International Veterinary Students Association Global symposiums which I have been unable to afford, which is such a shame given that I am the Publications Officer on the Global Animal Welfare Committee! ✈️🐾
- Basic veterinary equipment like scrubs, stethoscopes, suture kits 💉👕
- To subsidise my travel expenses associated with ‘unusual’ placements like with London Medical Tech companies or Government internships that I would love to be involved in aside from my normal clinical duties. 🚇💼
- A car, to vastly open up my placement opportunities around the country (even abroad!) to save me trying to borrow my parents' car. 🚗
Being able to take part in these are going to vastly open up my career options upon graduating and help me to be the best vet I can be. I strive to be no less than that.
--- What is 'EasyFundraising'? ---
This is fundraising enabled through a partnership between The Scholarship Hub and EasyFundraising. Simply by visiting the EasyFundraising website before you make your online purchase, the company you buy from will donate to my cause at absolutely no cost to you.
Many of you already use the ‘EasyFundraising’ website, or similar, to raise money for charities that mean something to you and I utterly support that in every way and would encourage you to keep donating to those worthy causes rather than my degree.
But if it makes no difference to you, it sure will make a huge difference to me and is as simple as shopping online like you normally do! I would be incredibly grateful for any amount that is raised, and promise to put it to good use.
--- What can I give you in return for your help? ---
I would love nothing more than to be able to show my genuine gratitude for your generosity. If you are willing to share your contact details with me, I want to send you a personal handwritten thank you card featuring my own original artwork (and hey, maybe i'll be a famous artist one day too!) to let you know that your donation, no matter how big or small, has helped get me to qualifying as 'Dr Riley MRCVS' in 2020.
Please would you share this with anyone you think would be interested in helping too! Thank you 🌟
Share this story
Updates appear here
Nessie Riley started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Apr 14, 2018
Mar 20, 2018
The best of luck with this! I'm positive all will work out well for you!
Mar 19, 2018
Good luck - you'll be a great vet!
Mar 19, 2018
I believe in you!
Become a supporter
Help Nessie Riley raise more
Crowdfunding stories like this
About the fundraiser
I am a super hardworking, dedicated Vet Student who has overcome a lot to be studying as a graduate on the prestigious Accelerated course at the Royal Veterinary College. I have cared deeply about animals from childhood and finally I am so close to doing so as a qualified vet!
* JustGiving crowdfunders pay a small fee for our service. Find out how much it is and what we do for it.