Weʼre raising £2,500 to Assist the rise in family food poverty that rely on school's breakfast clubs and free lunches/hot meals to give children their 3 meals a day
- Thanet District, UK
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
When filming this piece mid July, I never expected us to see the struggles so early on for families during the summer holidays of all time.
This month we're overjoyed to reach 5 years as an organisation serving the community, run by the community, for the community but we have had no time to celebrate, busier than ever with our food bank where stock has been clearing faster than we have seen even in the demanding winter months, in turn making us see we have a huge task for the winter ahead.
Universal credits for Families making new claims that rolled out here on the 19th has hit harder than when implemented for single people in the winter of 2015, also the benefit caps restricting income is all hitting families hard.
Food hunger during the summer holidays is not something people think about when in fact it's a huge issue.
Our school's offer free school meals, more often the case, a hot nutritional meal and the option of free breakfast too.
For families who had Children given breakfast and lunch at school are now having to find the extra funds to pay for the meals supplemented at school.
The cost of living is rising and the squeeze is really being felt and seen.
This year with the rises in rents and cost of living plus many incomes reduced through the benefit caps and changes, this summer is a struggle for many.
We're here to help!
" School uniform
Here's everything you need to know for new claimants.
+ Filming by the BBC for the Victoria Derbyshire Show.
Thank you Sarah and Andy for highlighting this issue.
Full piece will be placed on to our website
We really need your help to keep up with this ongoing growth in demand.
Stocks are running on empty and absolutely any assistance to help us to help others is greatly appreciated.
- Long Life Juice
- Spaghetti (Tinned)
- Rice Pudding (Tinned)
- Fruit (Tinned)
- Vegetables (Tinned)
- Long Life Milk
- Tuna (Tinned)
- Tinned meat
- Meat (Tinned)
- Tomatoes (Tinned)
- Baked Beans (Tinned)
- Breakfast Cereal
- Dried Pasta
- Dried Rice
- Pasta Sauce
- Tea Bags
- Cup a Soup
- Soup (Tinned)
- Part baked rolls/bread mix
- Basic household cleaning items
- Toiletries including soup, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet roll
- Wet wipes
Rough Sleeper Supplies (most urgent)
- Sleeping bags
Other donations needed to help us help others in Thanet include clean seasonal clothing, toys, baby items, furniture and our general rule.. anything unwanted, reusable that can be passed on is very much appreciated.
You can also donate using our fundraising platform here or direct to our Paypal lin;
THIS UNEXPECTED RISE DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS WHEN DONATIONS ARE LESS FREQUENTLY AND THE NEED ISN'T VISUALLY SEEN WITH THOSE WHOSE CHILDREN RECEIVED FREE SCHOOL BREAKFAST AND DINNER FINDING THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS A SQUEEZE AND IN HARDSHIP PLUS LAST MONTH'S COVERING OF UNIVERSAL CREDITS AFFECTED NEW CLAIMANTS, THIS HAS LEFT US WITH NO WINTER PREPARATIONS AS YET SO WE ARE ALSO LOOKING FOR HELP IN SETTING UP AN EVENT FOR LATE NEXT MONTH.
The existence of our organisation is intertwined with both,the local agencies, organisations and charities referring to us both you, the people of Thanet that have kept us going for 6 years this month, assisting well over 800
0 cases for thousands of local residents with everything from food and clothing through to domestic violence, trained by the NCDV, as are the emergency services but also
** We cannot do it alone. **
We are counting on every person in the community to make that commitment with us.
This organisation needs you to keep spreading the word..
As it stands, it could mean;
- Coming into our building and asking for help to feed your family.
- It could mean donating food or clothing.
- Thanet local businesses.. *Donate unwanted stock to our cause for those in hardship, for any up and coming raffle/auction events ect and receive a message on our wall of thanks to be posted on our website, help Thanet's local businesses help us to help the community.
- Help us Supply Food, Toiletries, Rough Sleeper pack items and Supplies needed
- It could mean signing up to volunteer.
- It could also mean donating via our Paypal link where your donations really help us to help others, currently in the red with this summer's unexpected huge rise in demand, and rise in costs month on month through the summer with welfare reforms largely to blame.
For well over 3 years, we have been the busiest, biggest food bank and housing support service in Thanet, more so the last 18 months, helping more than those government funded schemes.
We are the ONLY organisation that provides to both working poor and people on benefits, judging each case by its own circumstances other support including for long term support of 6 up to weeks for families and singles/couples alike, handing out five days worth a time so as to try and sustain enough stock for all requests accepted as in genuine need.
* We Do NOT restrict those awaiting first payments and facing a prolonged hardship to just 3 food parcels as other schemes do
We run NON funded at present, helped by you, the ,members of the community.
- Thanet's busiest food bank used by multiple agencies and organisations
- All of our team are non paid volunteers
- We are a constituted community organisation
- Founded July 2012
- Unlike the Trussell Trust and Children Center Government funded schemes, we do not run using the voucher system and judge each case by its own circumstance.
Victoria Derbyshire Show Filming
Share this story
Updates appear here
Kerry Keating started crowdfunding