Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page. You can donate from anywhere in the world using a credit/debit card or paypal account.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity. So it’s the most efficient way to donate – saving time and cutting costs for the charity.
BACKGROUND (Watch the 2 minute Video on my JustGiving page OR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDDVa7tsqIA for more details)
- In June 2013, multi-day cloudburst centred on the North Indian state of Uttarakhand causing devastating floods and landslides in the country's worst natural disaster since the 2004 tsunami.
- Landslides caused by the floods damaged several houses and structures, killing those who were trapped.
- Entire villages, settlements and market towns have been obliterated.
- Bodies of people washed away in Uttarakhand were found in distant places like Bijnor, Allahabad and Bulandshahr in U.P.
- As on September 2013, according to official figures (National Disaster Management Authority):
- More than 6,000 people were "presumed dead (bodies not found)”
- Newspapers report put it at more than 11,000 deaths
- More than 4,200 villages affected
- More than 2,500 houses affected/washed away
- More than 200 bridges, many roads and paths affected/washed away
OVER 50,000 AFFECTED **IN PITTHORAGARH DISTRICT ONLY**
Food, Shelter, Clothing URGENTLY REQUIRED:
- Food items & Milk for children, Utensils for cooking, Stoves, Kerosene, First aid and Medicines, Shelter items: Tents, Tarapaulins, Canvas sheets, Shelter support items, Plastic mats, Blankets, Solar lanterns, Water purifiers, Torches, Candles and Matchboxes, Hygiene & sanitation.
WHERE CHINTAN IS WORKING:
- Bangapani: focus area in the Gori river valley where we are working with the MOST AFFECTED & trying to reach the MOST UNREACHED... Isolated due to roads washed away at multiple points, relief by helicopter difficult, access for surrounding villages is non-existent due to all access routes affected
- UMARGADA: Entire population displaced. Families struggling under improvised tents, 50% of fertile cultivated agricultural land gone, no food and seed stock left, all families below poverty line (BPL) & needy.
- MANKOT: Most isolated, cut off due to loss of Gharari (wire trolley) & suspension bridge, paths broken and fields washed away with houses in “danger” zone, long walks to access relief (upto 18 kms one way!)
- GHARUDI/JHOLA: Reports of their isolation, difficult access to relief, are reaching us with requests for help. We plan to get first hand information & act there & in other needy villages, depending on resources.
- Self sufficiency based on local knowledge & resources
- Support with a long term commitment
CHINTAN'S CURRENT FOCUS:
... is on helping rebuild the shattered lives of the completely displaced people of Umargada village, completely cut off village of Mankot, improving access and extending support to other needy villages as the resources increase.
HELP CHINTAN TO HELP THEM:
CHINTAN-“RAHAT” literally meaning relief, is acronym for Relief, Access & Habilitation with Appropriate Training, their Himalayan Disaster Mitigation program.
SPONSOR A SHELTER !
GBP 200 WILL MAKE SURE THAT A FAMILY CAN LIVE IN A REASONABLE SHELTER
INR 900/GBP 10/USD 15 Pays a ‘RAHAT’ community support worker’s honorarium for one day
INR 5000/GBP 60/USD 100 Pays mule & portering costs for a remote ‘RAHAT’ camp or solar lamp & cooker
INR 15000/GBP 180/USD 300 Pays passenger vehicle transport for one trip or pays for one quality tent
INR 50000/GBP 600/USD 1000 Runs ‘RAHAT’ program for a month or pays truck transport costs for two trips
INR 500000/GBP 6000/USD 10000 Runs ‘RAHAT’ camp clinics for a year or buys one general sturdy team vehicle
INR 5000000/GBP 60000/USD 100000 Builds a purpose designed sustainable ‘RAHAT’ Program, training & ready to respond from our Himalayan Base
PLEASE donate GENEROUSLY and help me exceed my target.