Your friends are fundraising. Don't miss out, opt in.

178 %
£8,918.81
raised of £5,000 target
by 168 supporters
Donate
Andrew Duncan avatar
Andrew Duncan

Andy, Ali and Jed - cycling to Paris to support Stephie's hospice

We're cycling from London to Paris to raise money for Princess Alice Hospice because they cared for Stephie at the end of her life.

178 %
£8,918.81
raised of £5,000 target
by 168 supporters
Donate
  • In memory of: Stephie Pack
  • Event: London to Paris - Tour De France Finale, 24 Jul 2019

Princess Alice Hospice

We provide compassionate hospice care to improve quality of life right to the end

Charity Registration No. 1010930

Story

In December 2018 cancer claimed yet another victim - our beloved Stephie, Jed's sister, Andy's wife and Ali's sister in law. She was too young to go, but there was no avoiding her fate. During the two years she lived with her terminal diagnosis, she was a beacon of courage, positivity and love. At the end, which was mercifully quick, she surrendered with the same dignity she had always shown in her life. 

When the oncologists could do no more for Stephie and referred her to the Princess Alice Hospice in Esher, Surrey, for end of life care, we were struck by how routine the referral seemed. It was as though the hospice was just another part of the NHS. Yet hospices are not part of the NHS at all. They do receive some NHS funding for the work they do, but in general it's only about 25% of their income. The other 75% they have to raise themselves. Fundraisers like this London to Paris cycle ride are one of the ways they do it. 

The ride involves cycling  300 miles over four days, so it's quite a challenge. We arrive in Paris the day before the glamour boys of the Tour de France steal our thunder. 

The care Princess Alice gave Stephie at the end of her life was quite amazing. We might all need something similar one day, so please give as generously as you can. Andy's goddaughter Aisha, who was close to Stephie as well, is also doing the ride with us. She’s not used to cycling like the three of us so it’s going to be even more of a challenge for her. If you are feeling particularly generous, you could always head over to her page and give her a little push too: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/aisha-samuel

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.

Photos

2

Supporters

168