It is somewhat shocking that in 2014 the following statements are still true:
- 748million people (1 in 10) don't have access to safe drinking water
- 2.5billion people (1 in 3) don't have access to adequate sanitation
- 500,000 child deaths a year are caused by the above to points, thats 1,400 every day.
There is hope however:
- In 2013 WaterAid reached 1.7million people with safe water and 2.2million with sanitation
- Just £15 will supply one person with safe drinking water for life
Which is where we come in; Business 4 Life is a Wessex Water run scheme which is now in it's 10th year. It takes a group of 12 Wessex Water and contractor emplyees on a fundraising journey over the course of 12 months with a pre set fund raising target to be donated to WaterAid.
The group acts as a new start-up company with a small budget, and through lecture sessions learns all about how to run a business effectively; from finances and marketing to operations and even employee disciplinaries if necessary! The team put their new knowledge into practice by organising an array of exciting events throughout the year, with the aim to turn a 'profit' for the team, all of which is of course donated to WaterAid.
When our target of £55,000 (which we aim to obliterate) is combined with what we know WaterAid can do with £15; it soon becomes clear just how much of a difference we can make.
Thanks very much!