Your friends are fundraising. Don't miss out, opt in.

70 %
raised of £500 target
by 23 supporters
Malcolm McElwee avatar
Malcolm McElwee

Malcolm's Prostate Cancer Awareness Day page

We are organising a 1 day live music event for PROSTATE CANCER UK because a good friend of ours developed prostate cancer

70 %
raised of £500 target
by 23 supporters
  • Team members: Alan Thompson
  • Event: Prostate Cancer Awareness Day, 15 Sep 2018


We fund research to stop prostate cancer killing men

Charity Registration No. 1005541 and in Scotland (SC039332)


I have created this page to raise funds and awareness of Prostate Cancer. This is my friends story he wishes to share:

My Story - Prostate Cancer

2 years ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. At first, my diagnosis was that I was suffering with Prostatitis, and was prescribed anti-biotics, which cleared up some of the symptoms but the pain still kept me from being free do a lot of the things I had been used to doing.

A year later it all started to surface again, this time my GP said that we should do more tests. I was then sent to a see a specialist at Sunderland Royal, where biopsies were taken from my Prostate. A few weeks later saw my specialist again for the results, in which I was told I had some cancer cells in my prostate, but not enough to have anything done at this moment in time. They would put me on a watch and wait programme where had to have bloods taken every three months to keep an eye on things, but I knew there was still something wrong as I was still getting pain.

Before Christmas 2017 I started to see a little blood in my urine again, but never said so to anyone as I was in a state of shock seeing this, it wasn’t all of the time, but it was there. I continued the blood testing programme knowing that something was happening. Further biopsies were taken by the end the of February 2018 and I was sent for more tests involving scans and a very much surprised bone scan. This
sent a fear in me that something was really wrong this time. After a week or so I spoke to the specialist, who informed me that it was now severe and needed treated as soon as possible. I was given three choices, radiotherapy, which consisted of going to the Sunderland Royal Hospital every day for treatment, the next one was total removal of my prostate and the third was a process where they froze the cells to kill them off.

I had a week to decide which one to opt for. I discussed it with family, gave them the three options, and everyone I spoke to said that I should have it removed. I too had come to that same decision.

In the next week I was admitted into the Sunderland Royal Hospital for the removal of my ProstateAfter the procedure I was allowed to go home the next day. I wasn’t allowed to do anything, lift anything or drive for 6 weeks, just rest and after 2 weeks had the staples removed. A very tidy job had been done but after the operation like most ops there are side effects, I was left with incontinence which is now getting a whole lot better and will be totally free I hope in about 6 months.

It is now 12 weeks since my operation to remove my Prostate and
I feel great. I take my time in doing things and don’t lift anything too heavy, so this has been a great life changing result.

I urge every man over 50 years of age to get checked out with a blood test. It is only a blood test but it could save your life and keep an eye on things… 

Alan Thompson


  • Event Poster