Hi. Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.
I'm Dermot Higgins, a.k.a. Go Go Dermo, a retired teacher from North County Dublin, Ireland. I have just broken world records by becoming the oldest person to cycle around the world. I set off from Madrid on 30 June 2017, eastwards across Europe, Central and South-East Asia, Australia/NZ, the US and back to Madrid on 31 March 2018. On the last leg from Lisbon to Madrid, I was joined by a group of friends who are helping me raise funds for Trócaire. I satisfied the Guinness Book of Records requirements - a continuous journey East-West or West-East of at least 18,000 miles (29,000 km), total distance at least an Equator's length, i.e. 24,900 miles (40,100 km) and to pass through two approximate antipodal points. See below for Go Go Dermo in Numbers.
I did this trip both to fulfil a personal ambition and, through Trócaire, to support the Global Goals, which Ireland and 192 countries signed-up to in an effort to end poverty, fight inequalities and tackle climate change by 2030. https://www.trocaire.org/education/globalgoals
Trócaire is an international development charity that supports individuals and communities in over 20 developing countries to live with independence and dignity. In Ireland, the charity raises awareness about the root causes of poverty and inequality.
I would really appreciate whatever you can donate here today, no matter how small. I have seen first-hand the effects of poverty and environmental damage as I've cycled around the world. And I have met thousands of kind-hearted people along the way and have experienced an amazing connection between us - all citizens of this precious planet. Whatever you can give, combined with the support of so many other kind people, will make a difference.
Thank you for your support
& all The Last Leg team:
Some of the team have separate fundraising pages here: https://www.justgiving.com/teams/thelastleggers
Go Go Dermo in numbers
- Total distance travelled by bicycle: 29,850 km
- Total distance travelled using all forms of transport - bicycle, aeroplane, ferry, train etc.: approx. 47,000 km
- Total number of days on the road: 269
- Total number of days in the saddle: 210
- Average distance travelled per day: 141 km
- Average speed: 19.5 km/hFastest speed: 65.7 km/h
- Estimated average calories burned per cycling day: 6,000
- Weight loss: 14.5 kg
- Estimated total cost: €15,000 (met by personal funds and corporate sponsorship - no donations to Trócaire were or will be used to meet my costs).
- Funds raised for Trócaire: See above right - and, with your help, we hope to raise so much more.
100% of donations go to Trócaire.