For just over a year i have been running an average of 20-30 miles/week. I shall be running a half marathon to raise money for orphans in afghanistan who suffer from a lack of education, malnutirition and poverty.the afghanistan orphanage – statistics 2,000,000 children who are orphans
600,000 children sleep on streets
400,000 children are maimed from land mines
1,000,000 children suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome
1 in 10 children are severely malnourished and more than half suffer from stunted growth
1 in 4 children dies before age five (the fourth highest level in the world)
1 in 3 children suffer from iodine deficiency
- Infant mortality rate is alarmingly high at 163 per 1,000 live births
- Diarrhea and acute respiratory infections (conditions exasperated by malnutrition) account for around 41 per cent of all child deaths.
- A shortage of safe drinking water adds to the already weak health status of many children. Measles is a major cause of child death.
- Tetanus (which often results from unsanitary conditions at delivery) is a leading killer of mothers and their newborn babies.
- Women and children have suffered the horrors of kidnapping, child trafficking, organ harvesting, sexual abuses and child labor in addition to appalling humiliation and degradation.
source: The Afghanistan Orphanage
51% illiteracy rate, male youth (15-24 years)
82% illiteracy rate, female youth (15-24 years)
54% of girls are not enrolled in primary school
85% of girls are not enrolled in secondary school
26% of boys are not enrolled in primary school
62% of boys are not enrolled in secondary school
52% of population don’t have safe drinking water
63% of population don’t have improved sanitation facilities
Help me to help them by donating as much or as little as you can.
Thanks for the support!