In the summer of 2014, 12 students from QEGS Penrith's Sixth Form visited Bupadhengo School in Uganda, with the aim of building a new water tower and latrine block. This was made possible through funds from Uganda Club.
This school has grown from less than 10 pupils in 2004 to over 800 ten years on. The school still struggles to supply adequate numbers of classrooms, dormitories, school equipment and uniforms. After experiencing the deprivation first hand; as a club, we wish to work with the Henry Van Straubenzee Memorial Fund to provide this incredible educational institution with funds to improve their facilities and the lives of the children whom we met.
Past Fundraisers organised by the club include:
- Transportation of a container full of goods such as school equipment, sporting equipment, bikes and so on.
- Multiple teacher vs. student sporting events
- Sponsored bike rides
- 'Sponsor a student' scheme where each form can supply a student with annual fee contributions
- Cake sales
- 'Teacher's Got Talent' competitions
- Auctions of Promises
- Non Uniform Days
- Collections around school