- All funds will be utilised for permanent, positive change. No quick fixes, no hand outs.
- All funds will be utilised in local communities, where there are great, often overlooked, needs.
Alms are meant only for the poor, the needy, those who administer them, those whose hearts need winning over, to free slaves and help those in debt, for God’s cause, and for travellers in need. This is ordained by God; God is all knowing and wise. (Chapter 9, Verse 60 – Al-Qur’an)
Zakat is one of the primary duties of a Muslim. The depth of wisdom in this duty is profound! The benefits go far beyond mere material exchange of goods or currency. Where there is a need locally, it is the opinion of most major scholars, that Zakat be collected and distributed locally.
Some statistics relating to the Muslim Community in the UK:
- 1 in 3 Muslim households have no adults in employment (more than double the national average) ('Muslim Housing Experience', Oxford Centre of Islamic Studies)
- - 47% of Muslim Students have experienced Islamophobia (FOSIS, 2005)
- - Almost 1 in 10 people in British prisons are Muslim (Prison Service
- - Many young Muslim's feel they have an inadequate grasp of their own
heritage and history (Peace Direct, 2006)
- More than 1 in 5 people in the UK are living below the poverty line
- - 3 in 4 UK non-Muslim's believe that Islam and Muslim's make a
negative contribution to society (IERA, 2010)
All Muslim’s who are mature, and financially sufficient, are mandated to give 2.5% of their net wealth in Zakat, annually. We encourage all those required to give Zakat, to do so wisely, through this unique and permanent fund.
May He accept it, from us all.