The Floating Doctors mission is to reduce the present and future burden of disease in the developing world, and to promote improvements in health care delivery worldwide.
- Providing free acute and preventative health care services
- Facilitating community development & capacity initiatives
- Reducing child and maternal mortality
- Gathering clinical data for program and health landscape surveillance
- Improving access to specialist medical care in developing regions
- Promoting improvements in health care practice worldwide
One of the most effective ways to make sure children are born and grow up healthy is to take care of mom. Almost 70% of our consults are with female patients, and more than half of them are of childbearing age.
Your support enables our team to provide prenatal vitamins and assessments for preventive care, and work hard to maintain a reliable supply of medications to manage OBGYN issues. We conduct women's health education and training, and work with community midwives (parteras). We carry portable ultrasounds and are able to offer prenatal scanning, as well as examination for ovarian cysts, uterine tumors and other obstetric and gynecology issues. For women who need more advanced care, we help coordinate and pay for transportation, appointments, procedures and labs, and sometimes someone to travel with a worried patient or help advocate at the hospital.
Small investments in Womens Health result in huge benefits in the future of the people we serve. Healthy, strong women means healthy, strong communities.