What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file, typically of letters and numbers, stored by your internet browser. Cookies help us provide you with a good experience on our site and allow us to make it more efficient.
Changing your JustGiving cookie settings
There are two types of cookie that you can choose not to allow us to use - social media cookies and personalisation cookies. Opting out of these cookies will limit the features available to you on JustGiving.com. If this is what you’d like to do, please follow the instructions detailed below.
A few things to note:
- We will only use social media cookies and the personalisation cookie if you consent to their use, by leaving a tick in the two boxes below.
- You can change your settings at any time by clicking on the cookies link that's at the bottom of every page.
- If you change your settings, you may want to delete the cookies that were added to your computer before you made the change. You can do this using your browser settings.
- We use a cookie to remember your cookie settings. This means that if you delete all your cookies through your browser, you’ll have to update your JustGiving cookie settings again. You’ll also need to do this if you use a different computer or smartphone, computer profile or browser to the one you usually use.
The following information outlines all of the cookies we use on our website.
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are automatically allowed because the website won’t work without them. They are essential to allow you to navigate our site and to make sure the core processes work.
Strictly necessary cookies allow you to:
- make a fundraising page
- donate to charity
- log in and log out of your JustGiving account
These cookies are automatically allowed because the website won’t work properly without them. They collect information in aggregate about how visitors use our site, which allows us to improve its performance over time.
We use third-party service providers to provide certain analytics services to us in connection with the operation of our website, including the collection and tracking of certain data and information regarding the characteristics and activities of visitors to our website. We may disclose Visitor data, including Personally Identifiable Information, to certain such third-party services providers in order to obtain such services. These cookies allow us to:
- help identify unique visitors and/or devices
- monitor the performance of our site
- collect information about how people use the site so we can improve it
- trial new features on a small sample of users
Visitors may opt-out of this analytics service by using:
- KISSmetrics' Opt-Out Feature; https://www.kissmetrics.com/user-privacy
- Optimizely Opt-Out features: https://www.justgiving.com/?optimizely_opt_out=true
Social media cookies
These cookies allow you to connect with social media, so you can log in to JustGiving using Facebook and share what you’ve been doing on JustGiving on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+.
Social media cookies allow you to:
- log in with Facebook
- share and promote your JustGiving activity on social media
This cookie helps us show you content that's relevant to you. For example, it could help us suggest a charity that you might like to support, based on the way you use JustGiving.
The personalisation cookie allows us to:
- show you content that’s relevant to you
|Cookie||How long is it on your computer?||What is it for?|
|JustGiving.com forms authentication (.GG_AUTH, .GG_AUTH_ID)||The length of time you’re on the site. It’s deleted when you leave or logout.||It allows you to log in to your account and to donate.|
|ASP.NET session state (ASPNET_SessionId)||The length of time you’re on the site. It’s deleted when you leave.||It allows you to donate and to make a fundraising page.|
|Charities website forms authentication (CHBranding)||The length of time you’re on the site. It’s deleted when you leave.||It allows a charity to log in to its account.|
|Load balancing - HTTP (BIGipServerjustgiving.com_pool)||The length of time you’re on the site. It’s deleted when you leave.||When you’re visiting the http site, it makes sure you are on the correct server, so you can use the core features of the site.|
|Load balancing - HTTPS (BIGipServerjustgiving.com_443_pool)||The length of time you’re on the site. It’s deleted when you leave.||When you’re visiting the https site, it makes sure you use the correct server, so you can use the core features of the site.|
|Google Analytics (_utm cookies)||Indefinitely, unless you delete it.||It allows us to monitor the use of the site.|
|Kissmetrics||Indefinitely, unless you delete it.||It allows us to monitor the use of the site.|
|Multivariate testing cookie (MultivariantViews)||One month.||It allows the site to remember your preferences when we’re testing different versions of features.|
|Feature options (FeatureOptions)||One year.||It allows the site to remember your feature configuration when we’re testing different features.|
|Social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+)||Indefinitely, unless you delete it.||It allows us to integrate the site with social media networks.|
|Cognitive Match (visitorId)||Indefinitely, unless you delete it.||It allows us to suggest donation values and charities to support, based on the way you use JustGiving.|