JustGiving are committed to keeping your information secure and managing it in accordance with our legal responsibilities under privacy and data protection laws where we operate.
By visiting our website or using any of our services, you agree to your personal information being used and disclosed in the manner set out in this Policy. In certain countries, we will not collect personal information from you unless you have specifically agreed to us doing so (for example through your acceptance of this Policy or via an electronic tick-box or other similar measures as required by local privacy and data protection laws).
You do not have to provide your personal information to us, but if you do not provide certain information we will only be able to provide limited services to you.
The personal information that we collect
When you use JustGiving.com, as is the case with most websites, certain limited information (such as your browser type and IP address) will be collected by us automatically.
We will also will collect and store certain personal and private information as follows:
Creating a JustGiving account
We will collect basic contact information about you to set up your account you so you can make donations or raise funds. This will include your name, address and email address. We will also ask you to register a username and password so you can gain secure access to your account in the future.
Alternatively you may authorise us to collect your basic personal details from a secure online source (e.g. Google, Facebook, PayPal or a sponsor charity) to which you have already provided this information.
If you choose to login via Facebook we will obtain access to your public profile information and email address. We will use this information to allow you to login and populate our records about you. If you give us permission (via Facebook’s preference settings) we may also obtain access to your friend list; we will only use this to see if people on your friends list are also using our website and as set out in How we use personal information below.
Making a donation through JustGiving.com
To enable us to process donations we will collect basic payment information. If you are eligible for UK Gift Aid, we may also ask you to confirm your UK home address.
If you make a donation through JustTextGiving by Vodafone your donation will be managed in accordance with JustGiving’s User terms of service and this Policy. If you wish to claim UK Gift Aid on the donation, or leave a message of support we will collect information about you as explained in this Policy.
Raising funds through JustGiving.com
We will use the details you provided when you set up your account to create your fundraising page or proposed JustGiving Crowdfunding page (“JG Crowdfunding Page”). We will also collect details of the charity or not-for-profit that you are supporting, or the details for your proposed JustGiving Crowdfunding Page. Where applicable, we will ask you to provide details of how and when you are intending to fundraise and/or the occasion you are celebrating by carrying out the fundraising.
Where you create a JG Crowdfunding Page we will also collect your title (if you choose to provide it), date of birth, telephone number and personal bank account details.
Information about others
You may provide us with information about others (or authorise us to collect this information on your behalf from your social networks or your email contacts list) for example:
- so we can help you tell your friends and family about a JG Crowdfunding Page you are running or charity fundraising you are carrying out; or
- if you start fundraising for, or in the memory or in celebration of, another person
You must ensure that they are happy and have agreed to you providing us with their information. Where required by local laws, we would advise you to keep a record of their agreement and provide them with a copy of, or link to, this Policy. This is especially the case if you provide us with sensitive information about them (e.g. a reference to an illness or health condition).
You should also only contact individuals via Justgiving.com who you know would be happy to hear from you and must not use our services to send unsolicited 'spam' messages.
If you create a JG Crowdfunding Page for a club, organisation, body or association which is managed by someone other than yourself, you must ensure that the manager(s) of that club, organisation etc. agrees to your fundraising (e.g. you are a member of a sports club and want to raise funds for a new clubhouse - you must seek the agreement of the sports club committee).
How we use personal information
We use the personal information collected from users for a number of purposes:
- administering donations made (and claiming Gift Aid, if applicable);
- personalising the look and feel of JustGiving.com (as well as our communications with users) to fit personal preferences which you have told us about or which we have inferred from your usage of our website (such as donation history, and fundraising or charity page cares/likes, both on our website and, where you have given us permission, via social networks (see also the Cookies and Analytics sections for more information)) or derived from market research;
- providing users with fundraising related news stories, tips and competitions, updates on campaigns, fundraising or JG Crowdfunding Pages supported, comments on website content, details of similar or popular fundraising pages, campaigns, events or JG Crowdfunding pages and messages of support;
- providing users with information on how others are using our website, including: (i) their friends (or people they are connected with) on social networks; and/or (ii) other people which we have noticed the user is connected with via service usage (this uses our functionality which profiles factors including the user's connections, trends and donation history). For example if you and one of your Facebook friends have logged in through Facebook and are both using our site we might let your friend know that you are fundraising via our site. We will only do this where we have appropriate permissions or you have provided appropriate permissions to the social network as are required by privacy and data protection laws;
- to help us prevent fraud associated with online payments;
- where a user sets up a JG Crowdfunding Page, to carry out bank account verification and identity checking, including with a credit reference agency;
- providing information to fundraisers to let them know about contributions made to their fundraising page;
- allowing charities, not-for-profits and JG Crowdfunding Page creators who are registered with us to have visibility of the donations made to them so they can track the total donations (in an anonymous form, unless the donor provides appropriate permissions);
- allowing charities and not-for-profits who are registered with us to understand which fundraisers within JustGiving.com are fundraising for their benefit and (where appropriate) display information on their own websites about published fundraising activities and otherwise communicate with fundraisers in relation to that fundraising;
- allowing other sites to promote public fundraising and crowdfunding activities from JustGiving.com, to support giving to those and other activities associated them;
- where the donor provides appropriate permissions, to allow fundraisers, charities, not-for-profits and JG Crowdfunding Page creators to: (i) provide that donor with more details about their activities; and/or (ii) contact individual donors to pass on a thank you message;
- information supplied by any person may be used to consider fundraisers (including JG Crowdfunding Page creators) for inclusion in the JustGiving fundraising awards. If a fundraiser is shortlisted for an award we would always contact the fundraiser before making their nomination public;
- allowing companies to review their employees' participation in activities, where employees have agreed to them doing so;
- providing service update emails regarding the JustGiving service and your specific account; and
- improving the service we offer - for example you may be asked to complete one of our online user satisfaction surveys.
We understand that many donors like to make donations anonymously. We respect this and will not publicly display your name on donations you have made on our site unless we have your permission to do so. However, the creator of a fundraising page you donate to will be provided with your name (but not your email address, unless you have provided your permission for us to do so). We require all fundraising page creators to keep this information safe and secure.
We do not provide any personal information to a charity, not-for-profit or JG Crowdfunding Page creator relating to your donation unless we have your permission to do so (or where we are required to do so by applicable law).
We will only use your information where we have obtained appropriate permissions from you (e.g. with tick boxes) and will only use the information in accordance with this Policy, or where it is required and authorised by law.
Communications from us
Where you have indicated you would like to receive updates we may send marketing in the form of email alerts and bulletins to tell you about developments in the services available through our website, together with tips, news stories and competitions related to giving and fundraising for charities, not-for-profits and JG Crowdfunding Pages.
Where you have indicated that you would like to receive direct marketing communications from us, we will use your personal preferences which you have told us about, which we have derived from Cookies (see our Cookies Policy) and/or which we have inferred from your service usage (see Analytics below) or market research.
You can also unsubscribe from receiving certain electronic messages by following the “unsubscribe” instructions included in our communication and you may change your preferences and cease receiving direct marketing from us through your account settings.
Providing information to others
We work closely with a number of trusted partners with whom we need to share personal information to help us operate the JustGiving service. These include:
- our related entities around the world, (see Working with other service providers and group companies) below;
- banks and payment providers - to authorise and complete payment transactions;
- in relation to creators of JG Crowdfunding Pages, third party identity checking or credit reference agencies - for the purposes of identity checking and bank account verification;
- organisations within the payment card industry to help prevent online fraud;
- law enforcement bodies in order to comply with any legal obligation or court order and, where we are otherwise requested to provide information, we may provide it but only in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection laws;
- HM Revenue & Customs, but only if we need to authorise claims for Gift Aid or other forms of tax efficient ways of giving; and
- charities, not-for-profits and JG Crowdfunding Page creators but only as set out above.
We also allow other sites to promote public fundraising and crowdfunding activities from JustGiving.com, as explained above.
We may also provide information to third party service providers who process information on our behalf to help run some of our internal business operations including email distribution, IT services and customer services (see Working with other service providers and group companies).
We will only share information with such organisations where we have your permission to do so in accordance with this Policy, or where we believe it is necessary for a legitimate reason connected with the services we offer.
You agree that we may disclose or share your personal information with such partners in order that we may operate the JustGiving service.
Working with other service providers and our group companies
For operational reasons, we transfer personal information to service providers and our group companies who help us manage our systems and processes (such as card payment providers), and to deliver our services to users.
These service providers and group companies may be located in the UK, other countries in the European Economic Area or elsewhere in the world (for example our fraud prevention provider in the United States and our subsidiary in Australia). Different privacy laws may apply in these countries and you understand and unambiguously consent to the transfer of personal information to these countries, group companies and service providers.
We only make these arrangements or transfers where we are satisfied that adequate levels of protection are in place to protect any information held in that country or that the service provider acts at all times in compliance with applicable privacy laws. Where required under applicable laws we will take measures to ensure that personal information handled in other countries will receive at least the same level of protection as it is given in your home country.
In the event your personal information is transferred to a foreign jurisdiction, it may be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and we may be required to disclose it to the courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities in those jurisdictions but we will only do so where required by applicable laws.
Keeping information secure
We invest significant resources to protect your personal information, from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. However, no internet-based site can be 100% secure and we cannot be held responsible for unauthorised or unintended access that is beyond our control. For more information see our security policy which explains our particular approach to ensuring the security of payment and card details.
Updating your account and preferences
Please notify us of any changes to your personal information which you have provided to us. You can do this via updating your user preferences through your account settings or contacting us using the details below.
Keeping your records
We keep records for as long as required to operate the service in accordance with legal, tax and accounting requirements. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner and, where required by applicable law (e.g. in the UAE) we will notify you when such information has been disposed of.
Analytics and social media plugins
We use analytics tools on our website to provide the service you request, identify service issues to us, improve our services and to provide content tailored to users' personal preferences and profiles.
These tools may be provided by third-party service providers and may include the collection and tracking of certain data and information regarding the characteristics and activities of visitors to our website. We may disclose data, including personal information, to certain such third-party services providers in order to obtain such services.
If you use buttons on our website linked to social media or similar sites (for example "Like" and/or "Share" buttons), content from our website may be sent back to that other website and, depending on your privacy settings, may be privately or publically visible (for example to friends, followers or generally to anyone who has access to your profile page).
You may request further details on these other tools and third parties from us.
Cookies are small computer files which are downloaded onto your device and collect information about the way in which you navigate and use our website and the internet. Cookies do not collect information which allows us to identify individual users. The information provided by cookies helps us to provide you with a more personal experience and allows us to make improvements to our services over time. You may delete and block all cookies or decide to just block certain types of Cookie via your browser setting. However, if you choose to block or delete Cookies, this may affect the functionality of the website.
For more information please refer to our separate Cookies Page.
You have the right to request copies of certain of your personal information within our custody and control and details of how we use that information. If you think any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, you may also request it is corrected. You also have a right, in certain circumstances, to require us to stop processing your personal information.
In relation to all of these rights, please email or write to us at the address below. Please note that we may, where permitted under applicable law, charge a small administrative fee and / or request proof of identity. We will respond to your requests within all applicable timeframes.
In certain circumstances (for example where required or permitted by law) we might not be able to provide you with access to some of your personal information, but where appropriate we will notify you of the reasons for this.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information you may contact us using the details below and we will investigate your complaint.
Third party sites
This Policy only applies to the JustGiving.com site. If you land on our site from other websites (or move to other sites from our website) you should read their separate privacy policies.
We keep this Policy under regular review and place updates on JustGiving.com from time to time. Please review this policy periodically for changes.
However, we will always notify you of material changes we make to this Policy and, where required under applicable privacy and data protection legislation, we will appropriately notify or give you the option to consent to changes to the Policy.
If you do not accept the amended Policy, please stop using our website.
If you have any questions about this Policy, or would like to exercise your rights with respect to your personal information, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or write to JustGiving, 2nd Floor, Blue Fin Building, 110 Southwark Street, London, SE1 0TA, United Kingdom.
Date: June 2015