Weʼve raised £3,166 to Set up 'Out of the Blues' - a charity to raise money to support research into mood disorders in Northern England
- Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- Funded on Saturday, 16th July 2016
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered nonprofit.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
On 21st May over 30 volunteers, including patients, relatives, clinicians, researchers and others interested in supporting research into the causes and treatment of depression and bipolar disorder, will be running 69 miles from Carlisle to Newcastle as a relay. This is to raise money for Out of the Blues. Why?
Out of the Blues is a new charity set up to support research into mood disorders in Northern England.
Mood disorders are common:
• The lifetime risk of bipolar disorder is around 4%
• The lifetime risk of depression is around 35%
Mood disorders have a devastating impact on people’s lives, their families and society
• Depression is the leading illness cited in benefits claims
• Mood disorders are associated with a high risk of suicide – the leading cause of death of young adults
• Depression significantly increases the risk of suffering from physical illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes, and if dying from these illnesses
• A person who develops bipolar disorder in their mid–late 20s effectively loses: 9 years of life; 12 years of normal health and 14 years of work activity
So you would expect loads of funding for research into the causes and treatment of mood disorders – right??.....WRONG
• While mental illness accounts for around 19% of the total burden of all disease (compared to 16% for cancer), it receives only 5% of UK research funding (compared to 20% for cancer)
• For every £1 of government funding, charities raise £2.75 for research into cancer. For every £1 of government funding, charities raise 0.3p for research into mental illness
•For every patient suffering from cancer, £1,571 is spent on research. For every patient suffering from mental illness, £9.75 is spent on research
Out of the Blues will help address this situation. £5000 is needed to enable registration with the Charity Commission. Please help in any way you can to enable us to take this first step towards better fighting mood disorders
Updates appear here
- 3 years ago
Hamish McAllister-Williams3 years ago
A huge THANK YOU to everyone for donating to our 'Out of the Blues 5000 Campaign'. So far we have raised over £3,000.00 towards mood disorder research in the North East of England. Please continue to support us and look out for updates/information via: www.mood-disorders.co.uk Facebook: www.facebook.com/Northern-Centre-for-Mood-Disorders Twitter: @NCMDresearch LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/ncmd Google+: https://plus.google.com/104687627022384541970
Share this update to help us raise more
Hamish McAllister-Williams started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Elaine N ( friend of Louise)
Jun 27, 2016
Great cause well done!
Joan and George Cousins
Jun 27, 2016
Good luck with the project
Jun 16, 2016
Congrats, Hamish, on a fantastic achievement towards such a great cause.
Jun 9, 2016
A fun relay, for an excellent cause. Thanks Hamish and Elaine!
Jun 7, 2016
on behalf of Mrs Irene Ewart
Jun 5, 2016
Well done, Steve Brown. Great cause.
Jun 2, 2016
Hope this helps you raise the money to make this worthy charity possible.
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding
About the fundraiser
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Hamish McAllister-Williams is Reader in Clinical Psychopharmacology at Newcastle University & Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at Northumberland Tyne and Wear NHS Trust. He is the Lead for the Northern Centre for Mood Disorders (mood-disorders.co.uk) that hosts Out of the Blues