Weʼve raised £10 to Support 'One Heart Gambia' which helps Gambian children and young adults who have had their childhoods destroyed by heart disease. Thanks!
- Children and youth
- Time left
- Funded on Saturday, 25th February 2017
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
One Heart Gambia is a support group for children and young adults who have developed rheumatic heart disease or who have been born with abnormal hearts, and for those who have undergone heart surgery or might benefit from surgery.
Set up in in April 2016 by a group of young patients, volunteers and doctors at the MRC Unit Gambia, it was born out of a desire to help Gambian children and young adults who have had their childhoods destroyed by heart disease. Many have been unable to run, play football or even access education because they have been too short of breath to walk to school. For the young women, pregnancy and childbirth may jeopardise their health further with severe heart failure and even death.
The overall vision and mission of the group is to:
- provide emotional support and foster social interaction among children and young people with heart disease (including those who have undergone surgery)
- to provide educational opportunities through volunteer tutors, accessing small grants, free educational resources etc
- To provide health education about children’s heart diseases: to children, young adults and families attending the cardiac clinic; to the wider community through talks, drama, school visits
- To provide peer support for patients about to go for surgery by those who have already had surgery
- To act as advocates for the rights of children and young adults with heart disease and ensure that their rights are not infringed, especially in accessing appropriate healthcare and education
- To provide some Fun!
- Fund raising to support the work carried out by the group.
Please help us to work towards achieving our other mission goals by supporting us in our cycling event.
A small donation to the support group could make a huge difference to many young lives.
Updates appear here
One Heart Gambia started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Dec 4, 2016
Crowdfunding stories like this
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding
About the fundraiser
One Heart Gambia
We are a group of volunteers who wants to improve the lives of children with heart disease and their families in the Gambia. Our objective is to provide health information, social support and raise public awareness on the prevention of rheumatic heart disease (RHD) in children.
* JustGiving crowdfunders pay a small fee for our service. Find out how much it is and what we do for it.