Weʼve raised £1,775 to Mikey's Smile foundation has been set up in memory of Michael C Johnson.The foundation targets area which we believe that make Mikey smile.
- Funded on Wednesday, 18th September 2019
Don't have time to donate right now?
Mikey’s Smile Foundation
Who was Mikey?
Michael ‘Mikey’ Chadwick Johnson was a Yorkshire lad who in his all too short life gave tremendous value to his community through his work, his love of life, his love for others and the selfless nature in which he gave his time. Michael, a type 1 diabetic was taken from us in the summer of 2018 at the tender age of 26. In his memory, his family and friends wish to carry his legacy forward.
The charitable foundation is set up to target the areas we feel would make Mikey smile. However, whilst the warmth and sincerity of his smile was one of his most endearing features, in reality it was a two way thing. He lived and loved to make others smile, be it at work as a career or in his dream to do stand-up comedy. By creating this charity we likewise want to make other people smile and so do him proud and to see on other peoples face Mikey’s smile.
Whom will the Foundation benefit?
The foundation is to be set up in Mikey’s memory will have several key areas of work. Each will focus directly related to how he lived and what he believed in…
• Local – All work done by the charity will be to benefit Mikey’s own local community in the Parish council of Chaplethorpe, Durkar and Crigglestone and the city of Wakefield. However, whilst it is appreciated this must not be viewed as being parochial and that his wider community went beyond the immediate environs of where he lived, we feel, as Mikey did, that love has a greater impact when given to those close by.
• Performing Arts – Support, particularly for the disabled and disadvantaged in accessing the stage and performance opportunities will be encouraged. His passion and dream of stand-up comedy or his love of the theatre. Close liaison with ‘In on the Act’ Wakefield Theatre’s 18-30 group will help us develop opportunities.
• Deaf/Blind – Following from his work as a career and the injustices he felt for those he helped.
• Sports – Support particularly for the disabled and disadvantage in accessing sporting participation opportunities will be championed, be it as part of Mikey’s support for local coaching and teams of tennis, football together with his main disposition and involvement in basketball. Local teams, specifically of Kettlethorpe High School, and from within the community will be supported.
• Diabetes- The heaviest burden Mikey had to carry was his Type 1 Diabetes. The transition through his adolescent years was difficult and although he forever pushed the boundaries and maintained a ‘can-do, will-do’ attitude as he sought independence his disability ultimately held him back. Close liaison with the diabetes clinic at Pinderfields hospital, Wakefield will be fostered and is seen as imperative.
• Environment- Not always immediately and obvious and to the fore, nature and the environment were close to Mikey’s heart- when he died he was within days of making a visit to Borneo with a determination and desire to see orangutans in the wild. Whilst bright orange primates may not be particularly abundant in Durkar, or even Yorkshire for that matter, local nature projects and ‘green’ initiatives will be supported and assisted.
• Youth- Mikey was always a big kid at heart, as could be seen when he was acting out a part as Spiderman for his nephews’ party, or a zombie while working at Sense. The overriding emphasis will be on supporting young children. Youth and young people to succeed in living full lives.
How will the Foundation work?
The ‘Mikey’s Smile’ Foundation will design and support local projects aimed at improving community cohesion within Wakefield, particularly those that support young people and predominantly meet the criteria outlined above. Exceptions can be made and parameters expanded based on opportunities brought forward or proposed, other than the one negative that cannot be revised.
Updates appear here
Ally Johnson started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Sep 16, 2019
From all the Staff at MotoNovo Finance
Aug 6, 2019
Jul 31, 2019
Jul 31, 2019
Jul 30, 2019
Jul 26, 2019
Well done Nic!! Hope your legs are feeling better! xxx
Jul 25, 2019
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered nonprofit.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding