Weʼve raised £492 to help generate funds & awareness for The Nuneaton & Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary who recover/rescue & rehabilitate wild animals...
- Nuneaton, UK
- Funded on Tuesday, 26th February 2019
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered nonprofit.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
It was one of the first chilly evenings of 2018 when Duncan Lockerby asked me if I wanted to attend an Open Mic with him...
"It'll be fun" he said...
Uuuuuurgh... I thought...
I must have had a face on me like a big hairy bear eating a jam jar full of very grumpy wasps...
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term; an "Open Mic" is basically an event in a bar/pub or similar location where multiple solo performers/duos and even bands of all abilities/ages etc. play a short set of musical, or sometimes spoken word, material to showcase their skills or gain a bit of experience...
I'm a professional musician and I'd been very busy gigging all year (it's my job) and had just finished a particularly exhausting long run of tinsel fuelled Festive Shows...
The idea of me playing at all, let alone for free, in a room full of other musicians seemed like a bit of a "busman's holiday" to me... I needed an ACTUAL holiday or, at least, a little lie down in a darkened, soundproofed room with my special yellow comfort blanket to snuggle..!
"Come on you big Diva..!" he said...
So...I shrugged and sighed and went along to what was going to become week one of a very long challenge...at The Copper Pot Open Mic Night in Royal Leamington Spa... We sang and played...and, of course, listened to the other music makers... And I thought... "Hmmmm, that wasn't so bad...I guess..."
But then... Somehow... A bit later on... And the precise timeline for this still escapes me... In a moment of glittery showbiz bravado I said to Duncan after he'd (slightly sarcastically) teased me yet again about me "being too big time to ever play another Open Mic, ever again..."
"I could do one of these every week for a whole year if I wanted to...and, actually, I think I will..!"
So... Obviously... He immediately bet me I couldn't/wouldn't be able to complete such a task which led me to committing, all the more fervently, to my slightly daft, self imposed challenge...
"To perform at one Open Mic event every week for one whole year. 52 mini shows at 52 different venues within the UK. Any costs incurred would come from my own pocket...any money earned or raised would be for charity"
By the time I played at the second event (in Alcester) I had a completed my game plan...and chosen the perfect charity...
Amy-Lee Hayes absolutely adores foxes. I'd taken her to the Nuneaton and Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary to meet one once. A rescued animal that had become too tame to release after treatment. She got to hug the beautiful creature...maybe almost a little too hard...and described the intimate encounter as "one of the best moments" of her whole life..!
We looked around the buildings and pens and met many of the other residents during our visit... Deer, owls, hedgehogs...a frankly bewildering array of mainly native animals and birds... The place was a menagerie of unfortunate animals... In need of care... And a second chance...
Geoff and Minty the Badger...
The centre is run by Mr Geoff Grewcock and he and his team (of mainly family and volunteers) explained their work to us, and their tireless efforts to assist injured wildlife in all weathers, day and night, 365 days a year... with little personal reward, apart from the knowledge that they were making a big difference...
And so I immediately understood that if I could use my music making profile to help them and this astonishing project one day... I absolutely 100% would...
So I had my Challenge and a Charity to assist (and one of their little yellow shakers) all I needed to do now was to somehow fit in one Open Mic per week, in between my regular shows and other professional commitments...for the next 52 weeks..!
Seems like a very long time ago now...
However... This week was Open Mic number 44..! At Cox's Yard in Stratford Upon Avon in Warwickshire. I'm on the home straight. The last 8... The countdown has begun..!
The whole list of events I have attended can be found below... The details can also be seen in the form of 'check- ins' on my Facebook page as proof...
The perfect time to fire up the JustGiving page I feel...
It's been a remarkable journey so far. I've performed an awful lot of music for an awful lot of people. I've driven to places I'd never have encountered without having this Challenge to complete. I've performed in some wonderful venues and met some of the most remarkable people. I've experienced love and kindness in great abundance and have been reminded of the warmth and generosity that exists within the vast interconnected communities of music makers and music fans alike...
Music is indeed...its own reward...
I've raised quite a bit of money using the traditional method of rattling my "charity box" at people (big thanks to everyone who shook it for me while I sang and played) but now I'm hoping that you will support me by pledging to donate to the Wildlife Sanctuary and help me keep going to complete my Charity Open Mic Challenge..!
I'm entering the busiest period for any professional performer now...
My Dirty Jazz Christmas Show is almost fully booked but I still somehow need to deliver on my promise to complete my task...
Please help me get to week 52 by donating here for my chosen cause... Every penny raised goes to assist vulnerable wild and wonderful creatures...
Every rescued animal is given a chance to be wild again after treatment wherever possible...
Your generous donations will help directly in The Sanctuary's efforts to keep this incredible work going...
Lets do this together...
Thank you all...
From left to right Duncan Lockerby (the challenger), Me (the multiple Open Mic attender) and Amy-Lee Hayes (the fox cuddler)...
Here's a list of the Open Mics I've done so far...
1. The Copper Pot - Royal Leamington Spa - Warwickshire
2. The Royal Oak - Alcester - Warwickshire
3. Ale & Gin - Banbury - Oxfordshire
4. Big Cat Coma - Royal Leamington Spa - Warwickshire
5. Millsy's Bar - Coventry - West Midlands
6. Leif Piano Bar - Royal Leamington Spa - Warwickshire
7. The Cross Keys - Alcester - Warwickshire
8. The Fat Pug - Royal Leamington Spa - Warwickshire
9. The Red Lion - Solihull - West Midlands
10. The Lion - Kenilworth - Warwickshire
11. Fletchers Bar - Kings Heath/Birmingham - West Midlands
12. Lil' Greens - Kenilworth - Warwickshire
13. The Nelson - Warwick - Warwickshire
14. The Three Horseshoes - Stirchley/Birmingham - West Midlands
15. The Town Crier - Coventry - West Midlands
16. The Reliance - Shoreditch - East London
17. The Old Pheasant - Worcester - Worcestershire
18. The Townhouse - Royal Leamington Spa - Warwickshire
19. The Yard - Coventry - West Midlands
20. The Raven - Hodge Hill/Birmingham - West Midlands
21. The Station - Moseley/Birmingham - West Midlands
22. The Feathers - Lichfield - Staffordshire
23. Mida - Stratford Upon Avon - Warwickshire
24. The Old Shepherd - Coventry - West Midlands
25. Twisted Barrel Brewery - Coventry - West Midlands
26. The Rainbow - Allesley Village/Coventry - West Midlands
27. The Bohemian - Moseley/Birmingham - West Midlands
28.The Golden Cross - Coventry - West Midlands
29. The Gunmakers Arms - Birmingham - West Midlands
30. The Bear - Stratford Upon Avon - Warwickshire
31. DJ Quinns - Yardley Wood/Birmingham - West Midlands
32. The Devonshire Arms - Coventry - West Midlands
33. The Rose & Woodbine - Coventry - West Midlands
34. Drapers Bar - Coventry - West Midlands
35. The Ivy Leaf Sheldon/Birmingham - West Midlands
36. The Chindit - Wolverhampton - West Midlands
37. The Rugby Tap - Rugby - Warwickshire
38. The Royal Oak - Wolverhampton - West Midlands
39. The Tin Angel - Coventry - West Midlands
40. Rosey Mac's - Sutton Coldfield/Birmingham - West Midlands
41. The Alehouse Brewery - Stratford Upon Avon - Warwickshire
42. The Oddfellows Arms - Redditch - Warwickshire
43. The Squirrel - Rugby - Warwickshire
44. Cox's Yard - Stratford Upon Avon - Warwickshire
45. The Farthings - Birmingham - West Midlands
46. Inside the 22 - Rugby - Warwickshire
47. The Moathouse - Nr Alcester - Warwickshire
48. The Horse & Jockey - Sutton Coldfield - West Midlands
49. Five - Southam - Warwickshire
50. Medleys - Northfield - Birmingham - West Midlands
51. Joe Joe Jims - Lickey Hills - West Midlands
- 7 months ago
Andrew John Wolf7 months ago
It’s only been a week since my fundraising page went live. Many thanks to everyone who has donated online so far... Only 7 more weeks to go..! 😊
Share this update to help us raise more
Andrew John Wolf started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Dec 30, 2018
Well done andi, enjoy a well deserved rest x
Dec 30, 2018
Sorry we didn’t make it today. Was cracking meeting you and seeing you play last week. We’ll always have joe joe jim’s.....
Dec 30, 2018
Dec 30, 2018
Great effort pal. Well done :)
Dec 7, 2018
A very worthy cause!
Dec 5, 2018
Dec 2, 2018
Well done Andi a great achievement for a great cause
Crowdfunding stories like this
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding
About the fundraiser
Andrew John Wolf
I'm a professional singer and multi instrumentalist with a massive love and huge passion for natural history. I perform live gigs and write, record and produce music. I have all the appropriate music qualifications to do my "day job" BUT I also have a Degree in Applied Ecology...