Weʼre raising £8,000 to fund Dendritic cell Vaccine therapy for Ilona.
- London, UK
- 14 days to go
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Ilona, my mum, got diagnosed with an Ovarian stage 4 cancer in May 2015.
How? Why my mum (she is only 50?!)? We don’t have history of cancer? Where were the signs and symptoms? Unfortunately, as many fellow cancer patients know, with this type of cancer there were no obvious signs or symptoms. Between the months of April and May 2015, mum started to feel unwell, with stomach cramps and bloating. It took multiple tests and NHS visits, to different doctors… to hear the words we never expected to … Ovarian cancer… Stage 4. The world collapsed. Heart was heavy.
With the help of my Aunt my mum’s sister, we embarked on the most difficult battle we have all experienced to date…
- Mum underwent a full hysterectomy with severe case of ascites, just few days after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer (May 2015)
- This was followed by Chemotherapy (Paclitaxel/Carboplatin -8 courses between July/2015-Dec/2015)
Despite initial positive signs that the treatment had worked, and doctors whispering of a ‘remission’ our fight was not over. The Cancer came back … stronger … harder… more aggressive
- In Oct 2017, during a follow up appointment Ilona was told she has relapsed and cancer has returned
- Mum underwent chemotherapy – Round 2 (6 Courses of Gemzana and 6 courses of Carboplatina were administered between Feb/2017 and Sept/2017)
- Alongside chemo we are trying alternative therapies to support mum’s treatments and immune system - herbal tonics to support her body, change in diet
- Chemo Round 2 does not work as well – after 11 months,CA125 blood markers start rising again. The lymph nodes are now also developing tumours…
What next? What are our options?
My mum, Ilona, is not only my rock and an incredible woman – she is also a daughter, a sister,and the most beloved aunt. She has everything to fight for and we will not give up this battle. Not stone can be left unturned... and we ask for your help to STAND UP TO CANCER:
- Mum is currently undergoing Chemo Round 3 – 6 Courses of Gemzana and 6 courses of Carboplatina
- To supplement chemo, we have been recommended the Dendritic cell Vaccine therapy, which costs £8,000.
- Dendritic cells (DC’s) are powerful antigen presenting cells (which are introduced into the body with the vaccine), and are used to stimulate the antigen specific T Cell responses. This is still in medical trials, but the vaccine has been shown to stimulate immune responses to fight the tumor
Unfortunately, with where we are in my mum’s treatment… we don’t have many options left… but we have a lot of HOPE…
This is something we have to try and we really ask for your support
Caroline (daughter), Aurelija (little sister), Tristan (nephew), Nijole (mother) and our very own warrior Ilona
We cannot thank you enough for your support.
Share this story
- 2 months ago
Aurelija2 months ago
We have had some great news – Ilona is half way through her 3rd chemo therapy and her cancer marker (CA125) has gone down from 6,000 to 36 (healthy range 0-35). Her blood has now been taken for the production of the dendritic vaccine and we have received the news from the hospital that we got 10 vaccines made for Ilona. She received her first trial vaccine last week, and will receive her first full Dendritic Vaccine tomorrow. We could have never done this without your support, and we are forever grateful for your kindness and generosity.
Share this update to help us raise more
Aurelija started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Jan 13, 2019
All the best x
Dec 6, 2018
Best of luck!!
Dec 5, 2018
I really hope you get better soon, only met you once & you were lovely
Dec 5, 2018
Kochana niech Bog pomoze kochanej Ilonie !
Dec 5, 2018
I send my praying for you!Be strong!!xx
Dec 4, 2018
Dec 3, 2018
Best wishes for your sister!
Become a supporter
Help Aurelija raise more