Weʼre raising £2,500 to Help Cairo Raise The Final Funds Have Top Surgery.
- London, United Kingdom
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Cairo’s Top Surgery Fund.
Thank you so much for clicking on my page, If we haven’t meet before; My name is Cairo, I am a transman from London. I have been transitioning from Female to Male (FTM) for the last three years with that I have passed some big mile stones.
(Picture on the left is from: 2015. picture on the right is from: 2018. Almost 2 years on Testosterone. )
For the last 21 months I have been taking monthly Testosterone Injections, and I am noticing incredible changes within my body, voice and how I feel mentally and emotionally. I am more and more happy and content and in-line with who I really am and who I have always been.
I am over the moon with the physical changes testosterone has done for me, the more my body is changing and becoming more masculine, as well as hairy and its making me more conscious of body, in particular my chest.
I really wish I can get top surgery this year as it will be a big relief and free me of my chest dysphoria. Its something I have thought about for the last two and half years and this is the biggest quest of my life to raise these funds, but it something I need to do.any help would be greatly appreciated and make a huge difference for me. I have been documenting my journey this far on my blog: Becoming Cairo: www.becomingcairo.com please feel free to read.
What is top surgery, you ask?
FTM TOP SURGERY: is a gender affirming procedure for transgender men that creates a masculine chest. Top Surgery involves breast removal (Subcutaneous Mastectomy) The goal of chest surgery is to create a contoured, male-looking chest. and may also include free nipple grafts, or nipple/areola resizing and repositioning.
WHY DO I NEED TOP SURGERY?
1. I suffer from dysphoria/ anxiety over about my chest area. My chest is feeling distressed, makes me feel uncomfortable in my own body.
2. I am living and working and socialising as a man, I never leave the house without flatting down my chest. I wear compression sports bras/ vest for over 12 hours + a day. (Which is the best solution I have right now, When you bind for that amount of hours it is painful, I often get neck and shoulder pain, even sharp pains in my sides/ribs.
3. Whenever I shower, or whenever I put on or take off my sports bra/binder I am remind daily that I don’t have a completely flat chest. (and that I have breasts, which just makes me cringe even saying that because that’s how wrong they feel on my body.) I feel restricted, I just want to go swimming/ Or beach or be in a changing room and feel comfortable about that.
4. It is the greatest gift, you could ever give me! I just want to be at ease and comfortable in my own skin & be free.
WHY NOT GET IT ON THE NHS?
There are a few reason why I am not going to get Top Surgery done on the NHS.
1. Because I have been discharged from the NHS pathway, (due to a GP who wouldn’t cooperate with me and let their personal opinions get in the way, of their job.) After a year of being chased by the Gender Clinic my GP failed to complete my referral form, meaning they could never accept me as their patient without a completed referral. I got discharged after a year of being left in limbo.
2. That is the only way to access the NHS pathway. Due to waiting times and being left in limbo, after about 6 months of getting nowhere, I decided to go private. Even though I couldn’t really afford it, it was the best choice I made. (I could appeal, but I would have to go back to square one after waiting a year! and due to the backlog of people and limited resources, I would still be looking a 2-3 years waiting list for top surgery.) Which is a very long time and is why I have turned to crowd funding...
Top surgery has a 95% satisfaction rate; where people are genuinely happier afterwards, because it relives dysphoria. *
WHERE WILL HAVE TOP SURGERY?
After a two years of researching and much thought I have decided that I would like to travel to Cleverland Ohio, because Dr. Daniel Medalie is the surgeon I most trust and would like to perform my top surgery.
This isn’t something I take lightly and it’s a one-time thing. This will last a life time, I want to know I am in good hands and with the right surgeon.
Guess What? GOOD NEWS; ITS A MIRACLE!
I am blessed beyond words!! Thanks to Point Of Pride: I have been sponsored by the surgeon I wanted and Dr. Medalie. I have been Awarded $2,500.
You can read full story of there blog: https://pointofpride.org/additional-2018-annual-transgender-surgery-fund-recipient-congratulations-cairo/
We were touched by Cairo’s application – like so many of our applicants, he has struggled financially to be able to afford medical transition, and has dealt with uninformed and un-affirming health care providers along the way. He shared that he does not pass consistently and how he has concerns about his safety when in male-only spaces. His desire to provide visibility for other mixed race and trans people of color, however, was especially compelling. Cairo is an active volunteer and visible advocate for our community. As an actor and spoken word artist, he is involved with a number of creative projects within the LGBT community, including mentoring teenage youth, working with a local charity that challenges transphobia, homophobia, and bullying in schools, and participating in a documentary about trans topics and issues - Point of Pride Board
WHAT THE FUNDS COVER:
All the funds will directly towards the cost of the surgery: * $7370 for the procedure: This includes all fees- anesthesia, facility, surgeon. Plus $65 consultation fee+ recommended Doctors Letter.
Original ORIGINAL TARGET: £5,650.
However since I have been blessed with this award! It brings down the total of $4,870. to a total of £3,720.
* I have been blessed with my earth angels. Yes, All of you who have helped me in my quest, with you help, together we have already raised £750 via JustGiving. + £450 in my savings. *Drum Roll*
The Current Goal is: £2,500.
It would be wonderful for Cairo to have his top surgery as this is the next step forward in his ongoing journey finding his true self. Cairo is so inspiring for the young trans community & everybody he meets in his daily life. He will always strive to be a great role model, be a positive force in the world and continue to make me (His mum) very proud to have been blessed with such an amazing son! – Mama Bella
TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE:
Due to the nature of the funding criteria: I have to have my surgery done within a certain time frame; If not my award will be awarded to someone else! Deadline: June 2019.
So please keep Sharing! I love you all, I believe in miracles, spent most my life living on a wing and prayer. We are getting closer. We can do this!
With All My Love,
Twitter: @Cairo_Leon & Instagram: Cairo_ Leon Youtube: Cairo Leon.
Share this story
- 2 months ago
Cairo Nevitt2 months ago
☺️ We have reached a £800 ❤️ #thankyou!! As It is #transawarenessweek #tb to a day I felt the most free! #mypointofpride is to live authentically and compassionately 👊 To lift up others, rather than put down. To stay motivated & #visibleforthosewhocantbe ❤️ To connect with my transgender brothers & sisters around the 🌎 through our stories, we can empower. 💥 Looking forward to January so I can finally book my #topsurgery date! 🙏 • #transrightsarehumansrights #transisbeautiful #transsurgreyfund #transandproud #transisbeautiful #ftm #bliss
Share this update to help us raise more
- 10 months ago
Cairo Nevitt10 months ago
Theres No backing out now... As this video is about to go Public! I have Signed Up to do Tough Mudder! Watch This Video & If You Can Please Sponsor Meeeee XD
Share this update to help us raise more
- 1 year ago
Cairo Nevitt1 year ago
If I want Top Surgery to be a reality, I have realised how much more planing I need to do & I have a lot to organise! I am hoping for some kind souls to be my earth angels, & help make this real. I am getting more desperate to have surgery. ATM I am working as hard as I can to save... but the longer I work & train; I've noticed I am getting more pain in my neck/shoulders/back from wearing a compression sports bra for over 14+ hours A Day, Everyday. Please Help Share This LINK & If You Can Donate ANY Amount I Will Be Forever grateful. <3
Share this update to help us raise more
Cairo Nevitt started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Jan 16, 2019
Your story as delivered at the conference at the Royal Free Hospital was inspiring and engaging. Good luck with your fundraising.
Jan 4, 2019
Nov 15, 2018
Nov 10, 2018
Nov 10, 2018
Oct 31, 2018
Sara S D Fernandez
Oct 19, 2018
I wish you all the best with it!
Become a supporter
Help Cairo Nevitt raise more
Crowdfunding stories like this
About the fundraiser
London, United Kingdom
I am Actor, Model, Blogger + Transgender activist! *I was the first ever openly transgender man in the UK be in a main stream fitness magazine; Muscle and Fitness UK. * Winner of the Trans Man Award at the South Bank Centre’s 2016 Being A Man Festival. * Stonewall Alumni