Weʼre raising £219,530 to fund Petty Pool Vocational College's New Classrooms
- Sandiway, Northwich, Cheshire
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered nonprofit.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
We need to extend and increase our classrooms. This new, tailor made facility will have a significant positive impact on the success of our students.
The building is designed with our students’ sensory needs, mobility requirements and general wellbeing in mind, we intend to build a new facility at the entrance of our existing site and it will consist of:
• Three new classrooms: enabling us to relocate some of our current classes and increase capacity.
• Brand new work experiences opportunities: a fully accessible reception area will enable students to work in this environment, welcoming visitors and answering enquires, as well as offering in house office experience due to a more accessible, effective and spacious work environment.
• Effective and modern learning environment: which will offer students easy access to advanced technology and software which will be used as an additional learning tool.
• A tailor-made learning environment: the building is designed to create a calm and effective learning environment, particularly for our students with sensory needs.
• A new animal care teaching facility: will replace our current ‘small animal’ stable block. This will create a facility which will not only be accommodation for the animals but a suitable learning environment for our students.
The need for expansion
Demographical changes, added to gaps in local provision and our growing reputation as an exemplar provider, means we have seen a huge increase in demand for our services. In response, we have enrolled additional students over and above comfortable capacity and our student numbers have increased from 78 to 98 in the last three years. Next academic year we are looking to increase this number further and enrol 110 students.
Petty Pool Vocational College was established on 18th May, 1981 and known originally as Mid Cheshire Sheltered Workshop. We’ve come a long way since our modest beginning based in a Winsford car park Portacabin, however our founding principle remains the same today as it was at the start of our journey: to support young people with learning disabilities into employment.
Last year we worked with 90 students with learning disabilities and 1000 other young people via the Outdoor Centre. Our secluded rural setting allows students, who may not benefit from a larger mainstream college setting, to learn in a small and supportive environment with an emphasis on kinaesthetic learning, practical delivery and competence based qualifications.
The wider facilities of the charity and its outdoor pursuits and education centre is utilised by all learners for enrichment and personal and social skill development.
Share this story
Updates appear here
Nicola Colenso started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Crowdfunding stories like this
About the fundraiser
Sandiway, Northwich, Cheshire
Petty Pool Vocational College is looking to raise funds to enable the building of a purpose-built facility to create three classrooms. Based in Sandiway, Petty Pool is a charity which provides education & training for young people with learning disabilities.