Weʼre raising £10,000 to Create a Black Pounds Project hub for communities to develop financial literacy and access invaluable business start-up support.
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered nonprofit.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Phase 2 Launch
Black businesses contribute £25 billion to the UK Economy yet have been severely hit by COVID-19. Community businesses have had to cease operation which has also been exacerbated by disproportionate risks of infection of coronavirus to the health of members of the black community. A recent report (Oct 2020) by the British Business Bank, entitled Alone Together, identified that 1:5 ex black business owners closed their businesses due to a lack of finance and 4 out 5 black owned businesses have outrightly been refused a loan.
Against all the odds and lack of government support, black business owners still have the entrepreneurial drive to start-up and operate small scale businesses. We believe we have found the solution to this long-standing issue of inclusion and have developed a bespoke mentorship scheme and pre-start up course that will help Black business owners access the appropriate support that will help them grow, scale and sustain their businesses long term.
In the space of only 6 months, 60+ black business owners have reached out to The Black Pounds Project and only a handful of them knew about the free support that is available elsewhere. Therein lies the problem.
In 2020 the community helped us raise £5,449, which so far has supported us to:
1. Create a bespoke tiered mentorship programme that allows Black entrepreneurs to access business and financial support.
2. Hire a part-time Operations Manager to Create and establish operational processes and quality service standards for the mentoring programme and create reports on the operation and outcomes of the Project as necessary.
3. Connect with business leaders across the region and put together a Black Pounds Collective focus group to raise awareness of issues.
4. Build a website and finance yearly subscription costs.
5. Connecting business owners to our network via the Greater Birmingham Commonwealth Chamber.
6. Hire a freelance social media expert.
7. Provide micro-grants to black business owners.
8. Create the Small Business Challenge, an initiative which rewards people for shopping with small local businesses.
9: Finance a yearly Zoom subscription to hold regular consultations with business owners.
10. Establish a bank of committed mentors, key support specialists and suppliers.
Your donations will support:
Project growth and regional expansion:
1. Suitably accessible office space with meeting rooms and group workshop areas.
2. A bank of resources and materials easily accessible to business owners from underrepresented communities.
3. An intensive 4-week pre-start up package for communities to learn the business essentials, with specialist BSL interpreters and translators available to ensure diversity and inclusion.
4: A BPP Young Entrepreneurs programme which can be delivered virtually or in schools. A primary focus on financial literacy, which includes knowledge of saving, trading and investment.
5. Phased planning and research for Black Pounds Project expansion across all UK regions.
1: Full time Salary for: Project Director To create the vision for the Project and translate it into deliverables. Communicating the Project’s vision to all stakeholders , driving the outcomes for the Project . Leading and energising volunteers and staff to deliver efficiently and effectively . As the figure head of the Project, engaging with the media and the broad business community to promote the Project and encourage engagement . Driving quality standards of service and being an inspirational role model
2: Part-time salary for: Operations Manager to Create channels for regularly communicating with all key stakeholders , ensure GDPR compliance with personal data, create robust financial management systems to coordinate the fundraising and financial income and expenditure of the Project. Set up data collection mechanisms to collate data and create reports on the operation and outcomes of the Project as necessary. Onboard and manage the Mentoring Coordinator and placement students to support the Project’s operation
2. Full time salary: Fundraising/ grant coordinator to Apply for funding for the Project as required and set up data collection mechanisms to collate data and create reports on the operation and outcomes of the Project as necessary.
3. Full time salary: Mentoring Recruitment manager to manage the handling of applications for business support from black-owned business owners against agreed service criteria. Manage effective contact and communications to applicants , Create and facilitate the matching of successful applicants with appropriate mentors . Develop and maintain the list of approved mentors
The Black Pounds Project ethos is that Big changes come from small change, but that change will come when the trust is rebuilt, and the black community are connected with business professionals and organisations that have a vested interest in helping them succeed.
We've already made a huge impact in just 6 months but there's still a way to go. Together, we must continue to break down perceived barriers to access, and lay the necessary foundations to create systemic change for future generations.
We warmly welcome contributions from banks, financial services, and of course anyone who believes in this project and wishes to donate.
Thank you for your continued support. Please help us by sharing this fundraising campaign so we can reach as many people as possible.
If you have any questions or queries at all email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Share this story
- 4 months ago
CJ Webley4 months ago
Phase one complete! Thank you for all of your continued support in helping us smash our £5000 target.
Share this update to help us raise more
CJ Webley started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
May 11, 2021
Lucille Roache (Asset Business Consultancy)
May 2, 2021
Apr 9, 2021
Keep up the great work!
Mar 22, 2021
Mar 20, 2021
Keep doing what you're doing, this is an amazing cause! Donating through A19!
Mar 20, 2021
Mar 20, 2021
Donated through A19! Fantastic work <3
Become a supporter
Help CJ Webley raise more
About the fundraiser
I majored in Theatre and Performance Studies at The University of Warwick, and recently completed a Master of Arts in Creative Writing (Screenwriting & Playwriting) at City University of London. I’m always connecting with people to find synergies with some of the work I do.