Weʼve raised £830 to To help fund an elective placement to Nurse in Tanzania
- Funded on Sunday, 1st April 2018
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
My name is Bryony I am a student nurse specialising in mental health at the University of Nottingham. The university have given us the opportunity to go on an elective placement anywhere in the world for 4 weeks to develop our nursing skills and knowledge. I have chosen Dar es Salaam in Tanzania as I would like to see how nursing differs in a developing country. I will be going with Work the World because they are supported by the University as being reliable, safe and reputable. They are supporting and guiding me through each step of planning my experience as well as supporting me whilst i am out there.
As a mental health nurse I have an interest in how they treat people with mental health illnesses in Tanzania and the stigma that still surrounds it. i will have the opportunity to work on wards such as:
- Acute and Emergency psychiatry which will be a secure ward where patients may be placed in cages or restrained for their safety as well as others. These patients will be aggressive, agitated and suicidal.
- Adult General Psychiatry Unit working with the mentally unwell both inpatient and outpatient follow ups maintaining their treatment.
- Child and Adolescent Unit working with people up to the age of 16 suffering from psychological distress and trauma as well as alcohol related problems.
- Addiction unit working with both inpatients and outpatients providing biological and psycho-social management as well as methadone programs.
- Rehabilitation unit providing inpatient and outpatient care providing individualized goals and care plans encouraging recovery from their mental health illnesses.
On these wards it is important to remember the stigma that surrounds the illnesses and that once someone is admitted they will be extremely unwell, worse than we may see in the UK. It is vital to understand the nursing techniques used although unseen in the UK are used for the safety of the patients and others and the result of few resources which may seem shocking.
In my last week I will be living in a rural village as a local and gain experience in a Kidodi Rural Healthcare Clinic. On this placement i will be working with a variety of conditions and injuries such as Malaria, HIV, Maternity, Burns and snake bites to name a few.
I am raising money to fund my trip to Tanzania; here is a breakdown of the cost.
• Work the world experience includes food, house, placement, Swahili lessons and 24 hour support £2040
• Village experience £400
I believe this opportunity will challenge and encourage the development of my nursing skills and knowledge.
Thank you in advance for your donations its really appreciated!
- 1 year ago
Bryony Watmore1 year ago
Share this update to help us raise more
Bryony Watmore started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Mar 25, 2018
Learn as much as you can..make a difference and keep safe love Julie Joe Tim and Laura xxx
Mar 25, 2018
Bryony. Have a great time. We know you'll be great. Peter and Pamela
Mar 25, 2018
You’ll have an amazing time, and we’ll look forward to hearing all about it! Very brave! Xx
Mar 25, 2018
Mar 23, 2018
Don't get bitten! Love youuuu! From Helenor and the Essam parentals xxxx
Mar 16, 2018
Hope it goes really well! Look forward to catching up when you’re back!Love Jon & Rosie x
Mar 10, 2018
Crowdfunding stories like this
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding