Weʼre raising £2,000 to Help Uplift Together raise awareness of the effects of developmental trauma in schools.
- London, UK
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
If you are reading this, many of you will already know about the work that I have been doing to set up Uplift Together over the past year. It has been a difficult yet inspirational journey and has involved many long nights and weekend work. As you can imagine, as a teacher and a single parent, juggling everything has been extremely hard work!! However, the work we do is something I feel very strongly about and brings more than just a tear to the eye. If you know me, you will know exactly why. I am very lucky to have received support from family and friends in the set-up of this organisation and I am grateful to them. The organisation is still in its early stages and has received recognition already and I am proud of this achievement. There is still a long way to go and this page has been set up because I need your support!
• The majority of children who have been removed from their birth families and placed in fostering, for adoption or with a special guardian/kinship carers have faced adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) which has affected their behavior, and how they view the world around them.
• Such children are affected by what is known by complex ‘Developmental Trauma’ – their experiences cause them to struggle with anxiety at school, at home and in unfamiliar places to them.
• Recent neuroscientific advances in the field of developmental trauma has told us that “trauma physically affects the brain and the body, causing anxiety, rage, and the inability to concentrate. Victims have problems remembering, trusting, and forming relationships. They have lost control” Professor Bessel Vander Kolk.
• Parenting such magnificent children is difficult and many of their parents experience secondary trauma, or features of what is sometimes known as compassion fatigue. The short-term and long-term impact for parents is challenging to say the least.
What do children and families need?
• Families need the appropriate advice and guidance and the tools to care for themselves because this is an act of survival. Self-care will allow parents to focus on their own well-being which means they have the ability to develop a relationship with their child.
• Traumatised children struggle to form trusting relationships and this affects their mental health. It is vital that we help them to feel safe in their environment so that they are given the tools to flourish and so that we reduce their levels of fear and stress, shame and emotional awareness.
Who are Uplift Together and how can you help us?
• Uplift Together is an organisation that prides itself in supporting families of vulnerable children and young people. To us, children who have experienced attachment disruption are simply wonderful warriors. We have worked with children whose progress, with the right intervention and strategies, is truly extraordinary. The support from their parents is extraordinary.
• Our services include: peer support sessions both online and at our coffee mornings, exclusive special guardian peer support, bespoke therapy sessions to help manage stress, advice on services for parents who are struggling to find the time to research, resource development and socialisation opportunities for children.
• Our team has extensive direct experience working with such families and our success can only be extended and consolidated with your help, encouragement and generous donations. Donating even just a pound means a lot.
• Unfortunately, the research and understanding of ACEs is still lacking and it is so important for us to raise awareness so that we can work together to help families and children to become resilient.
• We plan to extend our services to schools, but we need your support. Our team currently comprises of many volunteers and without their hard work and input, Uplift Together would not be able to help families and children heal, and develop the resilience needed for their mental well-being. Please help us to help them.
Thank you so much for your ongoing support. Ghazala x
Founder & Director of Uplift Together
Share this story
- 10 months ago
Uplift Together10 months ago
Share this update to help us raise more
Uplift Together started crowdfunding