Weʼve raised £530 to Pearl (Shuizhu Feng) urgently needs assistance, because she has a rare generic eye disease: Familial Exudative Vitreoretinopathy —FEVR.
- Time left
- Funded on Wednesday, 21st December 2016
Crowdfunding is the new way to raise money for a personal cause on JustGiving.
Pearl (Shuizhu Feng) has a rare generic eye disease: Familial Exudative Vitreoretinopathy —FEVR.
She needs a third surgery to prevent her from going blind. We are raising 50,000 towards this surgery.
In February 2016, Johns Hopkins confirmed that Pearl needed a timely surgery to eliminate the risk of her blindness, or she would gradually become blind as she grows up.
On August 9, 2016, the doctor performed the first surgery, which was the most important and complicated surgery that had ever been performed on children’s eyes. This surgery lasted for over 5 hours.
The doctor analyzed the abnormality which had occurred in the recovery process after the surgery on Pearl’s left eye:
1. Scar, hematoma and other symptoms are likely to occur after a FEVR surgery, resulting in such abnormalities as a second detachment. The probability of this phenomenon among adult cases is about 10-20 %; while the probability among child cases would be higher;
2. If such kinds of abnormalities occur, another surgery must be performed as soon as possible to again restore the retina to its normal location; otherwise the medical treatment can be regarded as having been given up.
3. A more serious case had occurred before. In this case, a desirable effect was achieved after repeated surgeries.
4. After a surgery, retina needs a stable period of recovery. Only if no abnormality occurs within at least 3 months, can we say that a desirable effect of medical treatment has been achieved.
On October 17, Pearl received the fourth examination after the second surgery. The doctor confirmed the normal location of retina, but said that a scar occurred. In spite of the small size of the scar, the doctor said she requires a third surgery.
Pearl comes from an ordinary family in Shanghai. Her parents now live in retirement. In order to cure their children’s eye disease, they not only have devoted all their efforts, but also have almost used up all their savings.
Vinay Mavani6 months ago
The Doctor caring for Pearl is James Tahara Handa MD at The Wilmer Eye Institute Johns Hopkins, Tel: 410-955-3518
Share this update to help us raise more
Vinay Mavani started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Nov 21, 2016
Nov 21, 2016
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!Start a new PageAbout Crowdfunding