Weʼve raised £550 to fund a Rural Education & Community Empowerment Volunteering Project in Moshi, Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
- Tanga, Tanga Region, Tanzania
- International volunteering
- Time left
- Funded on Thursday, 21st September 2017
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Hello Friends & Family,
On the 10th September 2017 I’ll be travelling to Tanzania to volunteer for a Rural Education & Community Empowerment project in Moshi, Kilimanjaro. I will be volunteering through African Impact, a company that works in partnership with their sister charity The Happy Africa Foundation (registered charity number 1123529).
I’ll be dedicating just over 3 weeks of my time to working on sustainable projects, helping people and aiding the local community in one of the most impoverished parts of the world. This will include teaching English to the young and old, supporting children with disabilities, working with a women’s support group and manual jobs such as painting classrooms. Full details of what I'll be getting up to are at the end of this message.
I’m incredibly excited, passionate and enthusiastic about getting involved, if not a little bit nervous! I truly believe it will be a life changing experience. To come home and be able to say that I’ve helped even one person lead a better, happier, more fulfilling life would make the entire trip worthwhile.
As with any project of this nature there are a number of costs associated. African Impact charge a volunteer/project fee which can be quite large – ranging anywhere from £800 to £3000. Of this fee, more than 70% goes directly to ground operations at the project. This is where I’m asking for your help!
The project I’m going to be a part of costs c.£1200 and through your donations I’m looking to raise as much of the 70% (£840) as possible for what I believe is a very worthy cause. If I manage to raise more, the additional money will be donated directly to The Happy Africa Foundation.
Flights, personal expenditure, entertainment, vaccinations etc. are completely separate from this project fee and will be funded entirely by myself. Any money I raise will be directly invested in projects on the ground.
Any amount, big or small, will go a long way to helping me reach my target, and hopefully by giving through me it will help to change the lives of people that truly are in need.
From the bottom of my heart - a massive, massive thank you in advance for any support.
P.S. For those who want to know more, here's the full list of what I'll be up to...
• In partnership with the local school teachers, teach nursery school students through English games, song, worksheets, colouring, drawing and outdoor games.
• Teach fun and interactive English lessons with a variety of members of the community, including vulnerable youths who have left school, single mothers and adolescent girls.
Maasai Literacy Program
• Teaching Maasai adults to read and write in Swahili, as well as some basic English language instruction – many Maasai children have not had the opportunity to attend school and as a result many adults cannot read or write – and helping adults to write their name for the first time in their life, or read a full sentence for the first time.
• Work with widows and single mothers in a women’s support group.
• Support in creating and advising on their handmade textile products as part of their income generation project.
• Lead sessions which look at health topics, business skills and social issues in order to support the group members to rise above poverty.
Supporting Children with Disabilities
• Working with some of Moshi’s most vulnerable youth.
• Facilitate fun and active sessions for children and young adults with hearing impairments.
• Discuss topics such as healthy eating and the importance of exercise.
• Learn sign language.
• Visiting the elderly in Langoni Old Folks Home. Sitting exercises with the residents as well as playing board games and helping with their vegetable garden.
• Manual jobs, such as painting classrooms and educational murals to encourage the students to learn even during play time.
• Holding workshops with young people to address issues such as health, social issues and career planning.
Updates appear here
Lee Stokes started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
ReAssure Cake Sale
Sep 14, 2017
Sep 10, 2017
Hope all goes well, Lee.
Sep 10, 2017
Good luck Lee! X
Sep 9, 2017
An amazing experience, wishing you all the best.
Sep 8, 2017
Good luck mate!
Sep 4, 2017
Great stuff! All the best with this project (from a ReAssure colleague)
Sep 4, 2017
Good luck Lee a great cause and a lovely thing for you to do
Crowdfunding stories like this
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding