Weʼve raised £235 to help fund a school in Tanzania
- Tanga, Tanga Region, Tanzania
- Children and youth
- Time left
- Funded on Monday, 9th October 2017
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Our campaign “ It is nice to be nice” was inspired by our trip to Tanzania in May 2017.
An unexpected change of weather forced us to stay in Tanga, a small town in Tanzania. Our excitement to see as many things as possible drove us to the village of Tongoni.
On the way to Tongoni, we came across a primary school, where young students were observing us like we do when we see a celebrity. The reason behind their excitement was that they are not used to having visitors, as the school is far away from the village. The kids need to walk roughly three hours to reach the school.
One hour of conversation with Mr Kennedy Ballozi (email is available if you wish to contact him), the head teacher of the school, made our hearts melt and we felt personally responsible for helping them in any way that would be possible. They are not asking for privileges like the ones we have had in our schools, they are asking for some basic things that will help them develop the education they provide to 267 kids.
Within one year of his duties, Mr Kennedy has managed to provide toilets for the children. For them, having a squat toilet (outside the class) was the best achievement so far. We experienced the passion of the teacher whilst he was sharing with us his plan for the next years and the materials that are required in order to succeed in his project:
- It might sound unbelievable to us, but the kids are going to school after 3 hours of walking through wildlife, without even having had any breakfast. As he said, a simple portion of porridge would go a long way for the kids, as by the time they arrive to school it is impossible for them to concentrate on the lecture.
- In terms of education, he did not ask for something brand new, but he mentioned that even a second hand laptop and printer would help them develop their way of teaching. They have exams once per month and that is a significant waste of time, as the teacher has to write each question individually on the board.
- Additional books would be beneficial to teach them English. Mr Kennedy sent us pictures of him writing the English alphabet in pieces of papers for the students.
Updates appear here
Petros Papachristos started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Oct 8, 2017
Oct 6, 2017
Sep 30, 2017
Sep 15, 2017
Well done Petros!! ✅
Sep 14, 2017
Sep 14, 2017
Sep 14, 2017
Crowdfunding stories like this
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding
About the fundraiser
Tanga, Tanga Region, Tanzania
I am nothing more than an excited person who aims to visit as many third world countries with the intention to support them and not observe how they survive.
* JustGiving crowdfunders pay a small fee for our service. Find out how much it is and what we do for it.