Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered nonprofit.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
An Alternative to the 2020 Round Strathaven 50-mile or 15-mile
As you may be aware or won’t be surprised to hear, the Round Strathaven Cycle Committee has come to the regrettable decision that it will not be practical to run this year’s event. Alongside the lack of certainty on whether larger gatherings would be permitted by August there are also issues regarding availability of marshals and helpers many of whom are older members of our community and also access to the school and toilet facilities.
However our two chosen charities (see later) are desperate for funds and as many of you will have been using the lockdown period to get fit we would like to suggest the following:
1. At any point during the week from Monday 17th August until Sunday 23rd August (the date that we should have all been cycling and eating cakes!) and adhering to the government guidelines in place at that time:
• Cycle either 50 miles or 15 miles.
• If practical use the Round Strathaven 50 or 15 mile routes joining the route at any point.
• If you live too far away then choose a route in your area.
• If you prefer then cycle the mileage in sections over several days.
2. Either make a donation or even better raise sponsorship to boost your donation.
• All money raised will be split between our two chosen charities (see below).
3. Let us know about your cycle by
• Posting on our Facebook page
• If you use Strava then join the event Club
4. If you are unable to take part for any reason then we would ask you to consider sponsoring the 83 year old founder of the Round Strathaven 50, Iain Park. Iain will be attempting to cycle the 50-mile route on Sunday 23rd August. Donations for this are also greatly appreciated
5. Persuade you friends and family to get involved.
PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS NOT A ROUND STRATHAVEN CYCLE ORGANISED EVENT. THERE WILL NOT BE ANY SIGN-POSTING, MARSHALS, FIRST AID OR RECOVERY SUPPORT. WE ARE JUST SUGGESTING A WAY TO SUPPORT THE TWO CHARITIES.
This year’s charities :
Heath Help International : This is a very small charity with a low cost base that does some amazing work. As their current van in India is literally falling to pieces we are helping to raise £16,000 to fund a new minibus to bring children with special needs such as cerebral palsy to the HHI funded “Happy Valley Special Needs School” in Kerala where they receive physiotherapy, speech therapy, etc. Without the minibus these children cannot get to the school and would generally languish at home without any stimulus or support.
Kilbryde Hospice : Kilbryde Hospice is a voluntary independent hospice which exists to provide compassionate, specialist palliative care to people with life limiting progressive illnesses and to their relatives and carers. It is based a few miles from Strathaven in East Kilbride. Like many charities many of their fund-raising events have had to be cancelled and they are appealing for funds to help with the day-to-day running costs.
Unfortunately there won’t be the usual banter and superb cakes but both charities will hugely appreciate the donations. All being well we will be back as normal in 2021. Many thanks.
Share this story
Updates appear here
Round Strathaven started crowdfunding