Weʼve raised £0 to support medical research into and patients suffering from podoconiosis in Ethiopia.
- Health and medical
- Time left
- Closed on Sunday, 4th December 2016
Crowdfunding is the new way to raise money for a personal cause on JustGiving.
Podoconiosis (podo) is a form of elephantiasis (lower leg swelling), triggered by prolonged exposure to irritants in the red clay soils found in specific highland tropical areas, predominantly affecting subsistence farmers living in extreme poverty.
Podo causes debilitating swelling in the legs and feet of its sufferers, who become immobile, unable to work, and are ostracised from society.
Podo costs Ethiopia an estimated £166 million per year in lost productivity, although it a global problem.
This often neglected tropical disease affects 3 million people in Ethiopia alone, although almost half the population (approx. 38 million) is at risk.
Podo is entirely preventable and treatable.
Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS) are a global hub for podo research, and I aim to run Brighton Marathon to support them with their medical research and healthcare provision.
Every penny raised from the £500.00 target will directly help BSMS:
1) to supply bandages and antiseptic ointment for 30 people’s treatment for one year, and
2) to undertake vital education work, ensuring the causes and treatments of podo are properly communicated to whole communities.
Professor Gail Davey, a medical epidemiologist at BSMS, is leading a multi-disciplinary team to combat podo. This is currently the only podo research programme in the world.
Currently, BSMS and associated universities have helped to:
1) treat over 35,000 patients, none of whom had previously received healthcare for podo,
2) distribute over 330,000 pairs of shoes,
3) train over 450 health workers, volunteers and staff, and
4) raise awareness across many rural communities about the causes and effects of podo.
To help you understand the significance of your potential contribution, £15.00 will provide a supply of bandages and antiseptic ointment for one person’s treatment for one year.
Any donations are gratefully appreciated.
Rishi Dattani started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!Start a new PageAbout Crowdfunding