Weʼre raising £20,000 to Support an amazing cause: Home Leone is building houses for the poorest people to exit some of the most dreadful slums on earth.
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Sierra Leone has one of the lowest GDP per capitas on earth. Its economy and plans were devastated by the 2014/15 Ebola virus and downturn in world commodity prices. Less than 2% of the population have paid employment and over 60% earn less than £2 per day. Hundreds of thousands live in the most appalling slum conditions and thousands are annually made homeless by rainy season floods and landfalls. They lack the most basic essentials of clean water, education, employment, healthcare and decent homes.
Home Leone has studied slum living in Freetown over 4 years, with an intense final year resulting in its detailed reports. Key findings include:
• Freetown alone, has a housing stock shortfall of 280,000 homes;
• One in five people sleep in a room with 10 or more people each night;
• 5,000 families are in “immediate danger of death;”
• 94% of Freetown homes have no flush toilets;
• The population live in fear of having their homes destroyed by government or natural disaster;
• In the slums, disease is prevalent, life expectancy low, inadequate education and health care facilities, limited access to water, let alone clean water and inconsistent availability of electricity result in unacceptably low health indicators;
Home Leone wants to build a new community, with employment, safe tenure, affordable housing, education, health care, clean water, waste management and power. Home Leone designed a culturally appropriate, sustainable community-led business low cost housing approach. The Shanta Foundation are proud to support this incredible mission.
Share this story
Updates appear here
Nimisha Patel started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Aug 6, 2018
A worthy cause Nimi, I hope you succeed with this goal xx
Jun 29, 2018
Great cause, best of luck with this!
Become a supporter
Help Nimisha Patel raise more