Weʼre raising £6,000 to Help fund refurbishment of the Shawl Play Area.
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered nonprofit.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
The Shawl Playing field is currently only partly occupied by play equipment for a limited range of children and the football pitch has become very uneven making it not really fit for purpose. Much of the existing equipment is getting the end of its life and needs upgrading.
Aim of the project
The aim of the project is to make better use of the space by creating a more varied and inclusive play area. The plans are particularly designed to create an area that can be enjoyed by children of all ages and abilities.
The project is proposing to:
• Remove the majority of existing play equipment and surfacing (the Zip Wire, Roundabout and Toddler Slide will be kept and repainted)
• Design a new play area to improve the range of facilities, equipment and making the Shawl Fields more accessible to everyone.
• Install new Equipment
• Create accessible paths leading to all the play equipment
Future ideas for the Shawl Play Area Include:
• Improving the football pitch by levelling the area out and installing new goals
• Providing more facilities for ball games such as a Basketball net
• Creation of a Pump Track for BMX and stunt biking
• More facilities for older children
• Provision of Outdoor Gym Equipment suitable for teens and adults
• Provision of Toilet facilities including disabled toilet
• Installation of more seating and creation of a dedicated Picnic Area with more facilities on the Shawl
• Improved access - Better paths to all the equipment and looking to make reasonable adjustments like a dedicated parking space to ensure that disabled people can access facilities.
More details on the initial plans and how to complete the consultation survey can be found on the Town Council Webpage
Why is this project important?
Outdoor spaces & play areas are more vital than ever during the covid pandemic, as they provide a safe place to exercise and staying active which is a vital weapon against COVID-19. Getting outside is an essential part of keeping fit and healthy, especially for children. When children are outside they move more, sit less, and play longer, all of which is important to maintain physical and mental health. When parents and children share activities, it helps produce a strong emotional bonds, play also provides a way for children to release their emotions and share their feelings during challenging times.
“Families are so cooped up inside especially when the schools have been closed, getting out in the fresh air and going to the Shawl to burn off some energy playing is crucial,”
Providing an improved Play Area will give people of all ages and abilities the opportunity to thoroughly enjoy the outdoor space.
The improvement to the Shawl Fields Play Area is a very important project for the town and surrounding areas. During the Covid pandemic outdoor spaces have been vital, the Shawl Fields providing one of the few areas for children to play and regain a sense of normality. Following the tough year that we have all endured, a new play area will be a huge well needed boost to the families and residents of the local community."
The support and positivity we have received so far is incredible, every donation really does count, no matter how small or large. So with summer on its way and better times on the horizon, let's all work together to get the new play area in place!"
All funds raised from this page will be managed by Charlotte Smith as the Clerk & Responsible Finance Officer of Leyburn Town Council.
Share this story
Updates appear here
Charlotte Smith started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Apr 6, 2021
Mar 26, 2021
Semra Kitchen (nee Kirk)
Mar 19, 2021
All children deserve a decent play area
Mar 18, 2021
Mervyn and Barbara Wilmington
Mar 18, 2021
For Nina and Ezra
Mar 17, 2021
Wishing joy to all children inn Wensleydale
Mar 11, 2021
Become a supporter
Help Charlotte Smith raise more
About the fundraiser
Clerk & Responsible Finance Officer to Leyburn Town Council. I'm passionate about helping people in the local community and improving community governance by listening to local needs.