Weʼve raised £0 to help fund the 9th Annual South Yorkshire Dementia Creative Arts Exhibiton to be held in Sheffield in 2017.
- Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Closed on Sunday, 4th December 2016
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Started in 2009, the South Yorkshire Dementia Creative Arts Exhibition is an annual free public event to showcase the talents of people affected by dementia (www.sydcae.co.uk). It started as a two day event but by 2016, when the event was held in Barnsley, the exhibition was displayed in 2 churches (St Mary's and St John's, Penistone), Barnsley College and Barnsley Hospital.
The key to this event is partnership and reciprocity, or quid pro quo. Everyone who takes part gives something valuable and gets something valuable back. For example:
- Local people affected by dementia share their talents, and get the opportunity to see their work in a public exhibition
- Members of the public take the trouble to view the exhibition and maybe think again about what life means with dementia
- College students compete to create the exhibition poster image, and get their work gets publicised - such as the 2017 winner Nadheer Jasim (@Nadheer_Jasim - see image on this page)
- University of Sheffield students volunteer to staff the exhibition and gain valuable experience
Anyone affected by dementia can submit creative artwork for the 2017 public exhibition - the theme next year is 'Places and Times'.
The exhibition does not have a budget - it never has. In previous years there have been modest but significant financial contributions from the University of Sheffield (where I work), and a grant from the South Yorkshire Community Foundation. Most contributions are measured in terms of time and talent.
However, there are some costs which need to be met in 2017, and these fall into 3 areas:
- Transport: The cost of hiring a small van for the week-long duration of the exhibition. The van allows us to pick up artwork and return it - as well as move equipment around
- Refreshments: offering visitors drinks and biscuits
- Display Board hire and printing: Boards are needed to display work and posters and exhibition brochures need printing
Please help if you can.
Updates appear here
David Reid started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding
About the fundraiser
Sheffield, United Kingdom
I am a Senior University Teacher specialising in dementia education at the University of Sheffield. I also author the Sheffield Dementia Information Pack (www.sheffield.ac.uk/snm/dementiapack). I believe dementia education can be achieved in and with the local community.
* JustGiving crowdfunders pay a small fee for our service. Find out how much it is and what we do for it.