Weʼre raising £1,000 to help with the reintegration of a homeless person in the city of Brighton. This is a trial project.
- Brighton, UK
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Anyone who has struggled with poverty knows how extremely expensive it is to be poor. - James Baldwin (1924-87)
I have often wondered why homelessness exists. Is it that our society does not care? Or simply, has society got used to it? I think, it is the latter and without any clear available options (aside giving them money trusting them to use it sensibly) and the sheer number of them ("if you give money to one, you have to give to all" mentality) that hinders our individual responses.
I have spent the last few years volunteering my time with local charities providing the homeless with sleeping bags, and giving them food etc..., but what they really need is a job and a purpose in life. Once you are on the streets however, it is very difficult to climb that ladder. It is not impossible, and I have experience talking to many who have managed to get their business back and running (I hope they are still successful), but it is very hard to do so.
The reasons for being homeless vary; mental health, tragic event, loss of business, lack of family support. Ultimately, these are people who have lost their way on the path to success. I believe, it is a reflection on society in the way we treat our most vulnerable.
The effect on being homeless alleviates none of the aforementioned reasons. In fact, it is likely to exacerbate them. Indeed, being homeless can also kill if the temperatures (especially in Winter) are sub-zero.
Therefore, I would like to trial a project in Brighton and assist 1 homeless person (of my choosing) and help him/her get off the streets and become an independant and successful individual.
- Providing for a suit / clean clothes
- Paying for a haircut if needed
- Ensuring he has available accommodation at local shelters / access to showers and a necessary toiletries.
- Updating his CV and skills
- Postulating for jobs / knocking on door to door
The 2 main Objectives of this trial project are:
- To help a person find purpose and joy in life
- To empower them to make the right choices and to fully realise their potential (Any job is better than no job and with a job, they can look for more jobs while working and the potential for return on investment increases exponentially. Not only do they find a purpose and meaning to life, they are no longer unproductive beings reduced to being at the mercy of human charity)
This trial project is expected to take 1-2 months (hopefully shorter) and upon successful completion, I will endeavour to do more projects of the kind.
I thank you all in advance for having read this far and if you decide to donate, I will be forever grateful to you and your generosity.
Any spare proceeds will go towards the mission.
Further information on the extent of homeless in the UK:
How can we worship a homeless man on Sunday and ignore one on Monday? - Shane Claiborne
Share this story
Updates appear here
Matthew Farnham started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Crowdfunding stories like this
About the fundraiser
I am social liberal with the idea that a collection of individuals can change the world and make it a better and fairer place. I fight for the alleviation of poverty, and the empowerment of people across the world.
* JustGiving crowdfunders pay a small fee for our service. Find out how much it is and what we do for it.