Weʼve raised £0 to celebrate LGBT History Month in York with theatre, music, talks, craft workshops and more!
- Time left
- Closed on Thursday, 1st December 2016
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
Since 2014, York LGBT History Month (http://yorklgbthistory.org.uk) have coordinated a packed programme of events each February. Our aim is to increase the visibility of LGBT people in history (LGBT stands for lesbian, gay, bi and trans, but we take it to mean any non-heterosexual and/or non-cisgender identity). We want to raise awareness of the continued existence, contribution and diversity of LGBT people, reclaiming our past and working towards a better future.
This year, we're working hard to put together a programme that's bigger and better than ever. But money is tight, and we need your help!
We're seeking donations to help us run the following events in particular:
1) The National Festival of LGBT History, Saturday 11th February 2017: a day of FREE public talks at York Explore Library, showcasing cutting-edge research into LGBT history, from gay miners to trans soldiers to lesbian music-hall stars.
2) 'Deep In The Heart of Me', Sunday 12th February 2017: a new play by the fantastic Behind The Lines Theatre, nominated Best LGBTQ show at Brighton Fringe.
3) Rainbow Plaques, Saturday 18th February 2017: making LGBT history visible in York by marking important sites with our cardboard plaques.
4) Our closing celebration, Thursday 23rd February 2017: a musical extravaganza at The Basement, showcasing local LGBT talent.
We'd like to put on even more events - from t-shirt design to cake decorating - and the more we raise, the more we can do!
Our events are fun, social occasions for York's community to get together while celebrating LGBT history and learning untold stories. But we believe there's more to it than that. Raising awareness of LGBT history helps to foster acceptance in the present, and reminds LGBT people - however isolated they might feel - that they are part of a community across time, and they're not alone.
We hope you'll consider giving a donation to help us achieve that goal.
Updates appear here
York LGBT History Month started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding