About The Foxfield Railway Society
The Foxfield Railway was built in 1892-1893 to provide a link to the North Staffordshire Railway for the Foxfield Colliery. The railway was built by local labour provided by North Staffordshire Railway employees at weekends and supervised by the North Staffordshire Railway foreman plate layer Noah Stanier, using second hand material, again obtained from the North Staffordshire Railway.
When the colliery closed in August 1965, local volunteers formed the Foxfield Light Railway Society to preserve the line. At first, passengers were taken in converted trucks up the formidable 1:19 to 1:26 gradient out of the colliery site at Dilhorne, accompanied by a tank engine.
Eventually, new coaches were purchased and a station was built at Caverswall Road, Blythe Bridge, half a mile from Blythe Bridge station. The service runs for 2 1⁄4 miles (3.6 km) from there to the top of Foxfield Bank. The last half mile into the colliery is currently being relaid to suitable standards for passenger trains to be re-introduced.
Today's facilities at Caverswall Road Station include a station buffet serving hot and cold refreshments, A gift shop, a museum area holding locomotives and artefacts currently out of use and 'The Foxfield Arms' our real ale bar serving a range of beers, wines and spirits.
We now need to raise funds to ensure the survival or the railway and give it the best possible chances to thrive for future generations.
The Foxfield Railway Society Registered charity number 1127378