Welcome to Walk for ME 2017! The idea behind Walk for ME is that friends and family of an ME sufferer do a sponsored walk on their behalf, hence the name Walk for ME or Walk for me. Although in recent years people have also done runs, swims and rides so you can do any event you wish!
It is hoped that as many friends and loved ones as possible will do a sponsored walk or other event during ME Awareness week which runs from 8th May to 15th May 2017 although you can also do a walk at any other time if you prefer!
Walk for ME has had walkers across England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, the Isle of Man, France, Spain, New Zealand, Malaysia and both coasts of America. Wherever you are we hope you will get involved!
We hope this will be a fun but poignant event. Family and friends can choose to walk any distance. It could be 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles or whatever feels appropriate. The whole idea is that the friend or family member is doing something that their loved one would love to be able to do but can't. We really hope that by doing this on their behalf and raising sponsorship money it will help raise awareness of this debilitating illness.
Walk for ME 2017 is again supporting Invest in ME and ME Research UK. For more information please visit our website www.walkforme.co.uk
If you would like to join the Walk for ME team (and we really hope you will!) you need to do the following steps:
1. Go to www.justgiving.com and click on "make your page"
2. Either log in to your justgiving account or click "No - I'm new" to set one up
3. Search for the ME charity you wish to support. Walk for ME 2017 is supporting Invest in ME and ME Reseach UK
4. Click on personal challenge and follow the online steps
5. Choose your justgiving web address
6. Click on "create your page"
7. Personalise your page. You can say who you are walking for and why you are walking
8. Then go to www.justgiving.com/teams/walkforme2017 scroll down and click on "Join the team"
9. Select your fundraising page to add it to our team!
10. You can then send your own justgiving address to friends to raise sponsorship. Any target you set on your own page will automatically add to the team target.
If you have any difficulties you can contact the justgiving support team on 0845 078 2063 or email the Walk for ME team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember: Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never share them with anyone or send you unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. They'll make sure Gift Aid (an additional 25%) is reclaimed on every eligible donation by a UK taxpayer, too. That means more money goes to the charity, faster, with JustGiving.