Micro Rainbow International Foundation (MRIF) promotes socio-economic inclusion of LGBTI people worldwide.
In the UK, it supports LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees. Every year, over 2000 LGBTI persons claim asylum in the UK because of their sexuality, gender identity or intersex status. LGBTI asylum seekers are often not safe if they are placed in housing environments with people from their own home countries, or those people whose religious and cultural backgrounds hold extreme homophobic and transphobic views. Non-cisgender lesbians and gays, trans and intersex people often suffer from higher levels of violence and abuse. LGBTI asylum seekers have in the past reported being bullied and assaulted by other refugees with whom they share accommodation.
Against this background, MRIF wants to ensure the safety of LGBTI refugees, their economic empowerment and their social integration. MRIF solution is to:
- facilitate safe housing for LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees exclusively;
- deliver social inclusion activities, such as peer support groups and life skills workshops;
- provide assistance to find employment and to set up small businesses.
The service provision combination of safe housing and socio-economic services that foster integration into British society (a holistic approach to integration) gives LGBTI refugees and asylum seekers greater chances to fulfil their full potential in life.
Your donation this Christmas will enable us to implement a holistic approach to integration that will:
- reduce homelessness and violence of LGBTI asylum seekers
- increase their social inclusion
- increase their employability skills
Thank you for supporting LGBTI equality this Christmas!