Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.
This year, 2013, my son Alex should have been celebrating his 5th birthday. Alex was diagnosed with neuroblastoma in June 2010 and despite the bravest of battles, he died, aged 4, in September 2012.
Inspired by his life, I have resolved to run (or hike, cycle, kayak (?!) where appropriate) 500 km around Scotland in a series of events (per the list below), all before Alex's birthday (16 September). Not being a runner by any stretch of the imagination, it is a serious challenge, but one which I am equally serious about completing.
I'll be doing all of this to raise money for The Neuroblastoma Society - their sole purpose is the relief of children suffering from neuroblastoma, and to achieve this it raises funds for UK medical research into improving both diagnosis and treatment of the disease, with well over 90% of funds raised being spent directly on helping to fight this awful disease.
500 for Alex Challenge - 2013
1. Meadows Half Marathon - Sun 3 March http://www.meadowsmarathon.org.uk/
2. Kilomathon - Sun 17 March - http://www.kilomathon.com/?scotland
3. St Andrews 10k - Sat 6 April http://pedalpowered.org.uk/?page_id=22
4. Rock and Roll Half Marathon - Sun 14 April http://uk.competitor.com/edinburgh
6. Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon - Sun 26 May - http://www.mokrun.com/
8. Corrieyairick Challenge - Sat 6 July http://www.corrieyairack.org/index2.html
9. Dundee Half Marathon - Sun 21 July
10. Coll Half Marathon - Sat 17 August http://www.collhalfmarathon.co.uk/
11. Coast to Coast (Rat Race Event) - Sat 14/Sun 15 Sept - Nairn to Glencoe (nr Ft William) - http://www.scotlandcoasttocoast.com/
TOTAL - 505km