This will be my 2nd Charity event I've taken part in raising funding for Iime, a fantastic independent UK charity run by volunteers made up of patients themselves or parents of children diagnosed with ME, and they receive absolutely NO Government funding at all so it is vital, as they are trying to educate all round, from medical staff, to families to the Government themselves and of course the patients too who find so little support out there.
My Sister Lesley fell very ill in March 2010 with a mystery illness and never recovered fully and was diagnosed in July 2010 with M.E. (also known as CFS/ME) and the medical world didn't really have anything to help her - she eventually came across lime Charity who have been a huge help to her with information and support, and to us as a family - something that is so important to someone with the condition, and over the past 7 years we discovered that our cousin has also has been living with M.E. for many years too.
ME - What it IS…
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) is a severe systemic, acquired illness
- Estimated to be 2* as common as MS and 3* times more prevalent than HIV/AIDS,
- Clear clinical symptoms which manifest predominantly based on neurological, immunological and endocrinological dysfunction
- Multi-factorial pathogenesis with the hypothesis of initiation by a viral infection prominent.
- Most frequently follows an acute prodromal infection, varying from upper respiratory infections, bronchitis or sinusitis, or gastroenteritis, or an acute “flu-like” illness.
- Before acquiring ME most patients were healthy, leading full and active lifestyles.
- Reaction to physical and mental activity and sensory input is unique to ME.
- Over-exertion can make ME worse and the effects are often delayed and may not be seen within 24 hours.
Symptoms can range from mild to very severe and can include:
- Cardiac and Cardiovascular Problems
- Cognitive Dysfunction
- Gastro-intestinal Problems
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Immunological Problems
- Muscle Weakness and Intense Pain
- Neurological Problems
- Sleep Problems
If you can spare something to donate I would be really grateful, and if you could also take just 5 minutes of your day to click on the link for the charity and read up about how it affects people's lives, not just the patient but their family too, as awareness is so important and today sadly M.E. is still treated by many in the same way that once Diabetes and Parkinson's were....as if it were not a condition at all!!
I am also taking control of my own health, and having quit smoking for several years now, and more recently I have lost more than a stone in weight and feel fantastic, and have some personal goals to achieve to increase my own health, so walking is getting me on the right path and I'm loving every minute of it - who knows...... you might see me in the New York Marathon one day!!
Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page and for your generosity and support.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.