The Arya Tara Mahila Trust (ATMT) is a registered charity which helps women in India to help themselves. The charity works amongst some of the poorest, most disadvantaged people in the world. We've grown from 25 years of work in India helping to alleviate social problems of poverty and discrimination.
Thank you for visiting our fundraising page. Donating through this site is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to sponsor us: FWBO (Dhammaloka) will receive your money faster and, if you are a UK taxpayer, an extra 28% in tax will be added to your gift at no cost to you.
Many thanks for your support - and read on for more details about our projects. But most of all - please dig deep and sponsor us online!
Our main aim is to empower women to help themselves and their community. ATMT projects are focussed on developing social, health and educational opportunities for people from all backgrounds, castes and religions.
ATMT also works with women from the Indian Buddhist community. The ATMT's 'Dhammajyoti' team runs retreats, taking the Buddha-Dhamma to many Indian states and to remote rural areas. In this way, though their contact with the Buddha-Dhamma, the lives of thousands of women have been permanently changed.
ATMT Social and Dhamma Projects
* Young women and girls are co-leading health, education and confidence building programmes in the slums of Pune, Maharashtra
* Training is provided for hostel wardens, carers and teachers
* Our Dhamma Teaching Team travels through many Indian states, introducing Dhamma and meditation to women who call themselves Buddhist but no-one is there to teach them or help them to grow
* Our Dhamma Teachers support other Buddhist women in India to set up classes in Dhamma study so more teachers develop confidence and skill
* Children and poor people from slum areas have access to computers and supportive teaching programmes, opening opportunities for them in the world of work
* Our members support training and capacity building programmes, helping Buddhist workers to show the world how following the 5 precepts and the Buddha Dhamma leads projects into ethical and effective working practices
ATMT is growing!
We aim to encourage existing projects and to support new ones through the work of the Arya Tara Mahila Trust, for example:
* Small business are growing e.g. screen-printed greetings cards and small-scale manufacturing projects based on the idea of 'fair-trade'.
Thanks for reading this.
There's more on our website www.indiansisters.org. And if you like what we do - please dig deep and sponsor us online!