BHT Finding Futures is going on a walk along the Sussex coast from Eastbourne Pier to Hastings Pier to raise funds for enrichment activities for our learners.
We aim to raise at least £500 and are looking for people to join us. The bigger the team the better chance we have of reaching our target, or exceeding it, so if you fancy a walk on the beach contact Sarah Blessington (Tel: 01424 718984, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and she'll send you the details. Alternatively you can make a donation right here.
BHT Finding Futures is based in St Leonards on Sea, East Sussex, and offers free, friendly training to help adult learners change their life and create skills for their future. Training is relaxed, with a maximum group size of four. Support is available to help learners improve their English, Maths, ICT skills, employability skills and self confidence.
Many of our learners never get a chance to get out of their locality and experience new places and things so we would like these enrichment activities to include things like outdoor pursuits, interaction with animals and visits to places of interest. We want to help our learners develop their confidence, self-esteem, personal effectiveness and employability while at the same time having fun doing things they probably have never done before.
Evidence of the success of such activities is the picnic we arranged in August 2014. We took 28 learners to Herstmonceux Castle for a day out. We organised a picnic, a talk about the history of the castle and gardens by one of the gardeners and a trail around the castle gardens and grounds. It was a huge success and everyone had a wonderful time: "The day out was amazing. We loved every bit of it", "Had a really good day... with all my best mates from Finding Futures", "Want to do it again!"
Here are some brief case studies for Finding Futures learners:
- DF came to Finding Futures about 3 years ago. She was very nervous with low self-esteem and self-confidence. Since she's been with us she's achieved Level 1 Adult Literacy and is now working towards Level 1 Maths. D is also one of our Finding Futures Ambassadors and works as a volunteer helping with learner support and office administration. D says "Since I've been coming to Finding Futures my confidence is sky high and I've made some good friends. I have been chosen to be an Ambassador for Finding Futures, to tell other people in a similar situation to me how easy it is to get into learning again and that even if school was a nightmare for you, being here is not!"
- When TO came to Finding Futures he was extremely nervous, agoraphobic and was suffering from other health problems. He nearly ran away from this first session but found the courage to stick it out. He has not missed a session since and is now attending Queen Elizabeth's Foundation College in Surrey where his studies include accountancy, business studies and how to become self-employed. In 2013 he was highly commended for and was presented with a 'Person of Courage' award at the Hastings Observer Achiever Awards, and in 2014 he made the short list for an Adult Learners Week award. T is also very artistic and helps run art classes at Finding Futures.
- DC came to Finding Futures with low literacy skills and was determined to improve and achieve a qualification; he has recently achieved Level 1 Functional Skills English and wants to have a go at Maths now.
- When CP came to Finding Futures he was a very nervous, anxious, and shy young man with low self-confidence. He is on the autistic spectrum which impacts particularly on his language and communication skills. In the short time he was with us his confidence came on leaps and bounds and he is now on an art course with The Prince's Trust.
- JB came to Finding Futures to improve his literacy, numeracy and confidence. He delivered a talk about his hobby, Cross Stitch, during our Adult Learners Week 2014 activities, which is something he never thought he'd be able to do, but despite his nerves and lack of confidence he did. He has now left Finding Futures to run a Cross Stitch course at Horizons in Hastings.