Your friends are fundraising. Don't miss out, opt in.

88 %
£2,645.00
raised of £3,000 target
by 57 supporters
Donate
Bradley Dearnley avatar
Bradley Dearnley

Bradley's National Three Peaks Challenge page

Fundraising for Myositis UK

88 %
£2,645.00
raised of £3,000 target
by 57 supporters
Donate
  • Team members: Shazan Amin & David Marsh
  • Event: National Three Peaks Challenge, 12 May 2018 to 13 May 2018

Myositis UK

We raise funds for research to help improve treatments & diagnosis

Charity Registration No. 327791

Story

Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.

We are attempting to complete the National 3 Peaks Challenge to raise money for the Myositis UK charity. The most well known version of the challenge is to scale the 3 peaks in under 24 hours. This might not sound too difficult but the 3 peaks are Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowden; the largest peaks in Scotland, England and Wales, respectively.

The Myositis UK charity helps to provide treatment options through supporting research into Myositis conditions. There are lots of different types of Myositis, but all are characterised by muscle inflammation and weakness. As an autoimmune disease Myositis causes the body to attack it’s own muscle tissue resulting in severe muscle weakness. Sufferers typically have a hard time holding their head up, getting up from a seated position and walking very short distances. In severe cases sufferers have difficulty swallowing, breathing and other complications can be fatal. At present, there is no cure for myositis, only 30% of cases go into remission, leaving 70% of those affected with polycyclic or chronic courses of the disease. I hope that you will agree that the lack of a cure and such a poor rate of successful treatment into remission surely warrants further research.

Bradley:

Having been diagnosed with Juvenile Dermatomyositis as a child I spent 4 years of my life between the ages of 4 and 8 in and out of hospital. Being on the receiving end of treatment that has enabled me to go from not having the strength to pick myself up off the floor to engaging in sport and martial arts (Tang Soo Do) on a regular basis has really shown me what great work this charity does. I could not imagine a lifestyle without being able to use my muscles freely and I hope by raising money for this worthy cause that I can go some way towards helping others affected by Myositis conditions. Not only will donations help to get sufferers the essential treatment they need, but it will allow them the opportunity to get the pleasure that I have from being able to make full use of my body.

Shazan:

I have trained with Bradley for a while now and I would never have known that he had a condition primarily affecting the strength in his legs if he had not told me. Bradley and I train together a lot and we both have the work of charities like Myositis UK to thank for the ability to do so. I know we are all up for the challenge and I fully support Bradley in his effort to complete this challenge to show just how far he has come.

David:

I’m excited to be supporting Bradley on his very personal challenge to raise money and awareness for Myositis conditions. Bradley is now a very talented martial artist competing on the international stage for Great Britain. This could not have been possible without the treatment he received. Unfortunately there are more people who don’t recover from this condition than those who do. Funding for research is desperately needed to improve the remission rate and hopefully find a cure for those affected by this condition.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any donations will be greatly appreciated by us and the charity.



Photos

1

Supporters

57
Donate