The Rohingya are a Muslim minority from western Burma (Myanmar). Historically, they have been denied the Burmese nationality. Myanmar believes that their South Asian ethnicity and their religion is contrary to the Burmese identity, which is tied to Buddhism. Consequently, the Rohingya are persecuted.
The Rohingya have continued to migrate to Bangladesh in search of refuge. However, the Bangladeshi authorities have refused to register them since 1992. Therefore, hundreds of thousands of Rohingya live in Bangladesh unregistered and are marginalized in society. The few refugees that are registered live in government-administered camps and receive a full complement of aid from NGOs and UNHCR.
With the recent cycle of violence the Rohingya are in desperate straits. Tens of thousands of Rohingya have been forcibly displaced while many have died.
What AKF is doing now
Realizing that the Rohingya are being ethnically cleansed whilst the world is turning a blind eye, AKF has sprung into action. It has implemented primary and secondary aid provisions to deliver relief.
· Online Emergency Relief Appeal launched within hours
· Emergency Appeal launched on IQRA TV (SKY 819) within 24 hours
· AKF mobilize aid on the ground within 48 hours
· Providing temporary shelter kits to ease immediate suffering
· Provided medical supplies
· Arranging burial services for the deceased
· Rapid deployment emergency hospitals
What your money will pay for
Your generous donations have provided:
· Essential foodstuffs
· Nutrition kits for children
· Essential medical aid to refugee camps inside Burma through our partners
· Water sanitation kits from hand pumps to portable water treatment equipment
· Temporary housing materials
· Basic health care
· Emergency response unit
· Surgical equipment
· Household essentials, e.g., heaters, stoves, bedding, etc.
You can also donate by calling our donations' hotline: 03000 999 786