In May 2011, it was confirmed Joost van der Westhuizen, the combative South African scrum half, was diagnosed with MND. In June 2017, Doddie Weir, Scotland's "Mad Giraffe" and interview legend from Living with The Lions, a behind the scene of the 1997 Lions' tour to South Africa, announced he was diagnosed with MND. Recently, the father of 3 close friends of mine from school days lost a long and brave battle against MND.
As Doddie Weir wrote in his poignant and touching autobiography, "My Name's Doddie", it isn't good enough that there is no cure for MND.
So for my friends' father, and in honour of Doddie Weir's playing number, 5, and as part of my 50th birthday celebration, I am inviting the Singapore rugby and touch rugby community to play in a 5 hours touch rugby game from 12 noon to 5pm, on Sunday 5th May, on Centaurs Grass to raise awareness for the MyName5Doddie Foundation and contribute to aid research into MND. The game is open to all rugby and touch rugby clubs, players, families and friends from age 5 years old to 95 years old.
How to enter to play and contribute (revised and simplified)
Step 1: Decide whether you just want to join any team and play, or whether you want to get your family, friends, club mates together and form a team.
Step 2: Contribute a donation via the "Donate" button on this site and make a comment which time you will come down (so we can manage playing numbers).
Step 3: Afterwards, notify me on: email@example.com for confirmation of registration. If you just want to contribute but not play then that is cool. You are more than welcome to come down on the day, watch or volunteer to help out.
NOTE: You are encouraged to contribute first to register to play.
The playing format
Do arrive 20mins before your playing slot so you can register in at the desk.
This will be one fun, friendly, social, continuous game of touch rugby running from 12noon to 5pm! The laws are those of touch rugby in Singapore, save for the following key variations:
• there are no age restrictions in a team and there are no restrictions on mix of team by age or gender;
• no restrictions on the size of team squads - more the merrier;
• there will be two long blasts of the hooter to signify 5mins to the kick off at 12noon, then a long blast of the hooter to signify kick off;
• the match will ideally be played continuously without a halftime break, with teams/refs rotated every 20mins;
• there will be two short blasts of the hooter to signify 5mins to change over of teams/refs for the next 20mins, then one short blast of the hooter to signify changeover - one mass substitution and the game continues and
• there will be two long blasts of the hooter to signify 5mins to the end of the game, then a long blast of the hooter to signify end of the game!
NOTE: Please note this game is purely a fun, friendly, social game of touch rugby - albeit a continuous one - to raise awareness and to contribute to MND. You are in the best position to decide whether you are fit to play or not, check with your Doc if you are unsure. Light medical cover will be on hand on the day. However, it's your call on how much and how long you wish to play for.
This is a rain or shine game! Should there be thunder and lightning, we will shelter under the tent, avail ourselves to food and refreshment, and continue once the lightening has stopped (usual Touch SG lightening criterion).
Information and contact
For more information the game then email me on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page and supporting the My Name's Doddie Foundation.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.