Land's End to John O'Groats - 950miles+, unsupported, for 14 days
My Great Uncle passed away in Dec 2008 and was suffering with Dementia. My Grandparents are both suffering from the debilitating effects of Dementia. As this is close to my heart I hope to raise money and awareness for The Alzheimer’s Society. I really do hope I can aid future generations understand and cope with Dementia and Alzheimer's by raising money from completing the Lands End to John O'Groats Cycle ride. With a possible 950miles+ of cycling, I aim to raise 5k for the Alzheimer's Society.
I’m sure you’ll agree that it is a great cause and I would be extremely grateful if you could donate just a small amount to help our nations suffers. I will be making this journey with my Dad, who is also a keen cyclist.
Please note all 5k WILL be going to the Alzheimer's Society. I am raising my own funds to make this trip.
Dementia is a term used to describe various different brain disorders that have in common a loss of brain function that is usually progressive and eventually severe.
• There are currently 700,000 people with dementia in the UK.
• There are currently 15,000 younger people with dementia in the UK.
• There are over 11,500 people with dementia from black and minority ethnic groups in the UK.
• There will be over a million people with dementia by 2025.
• Two thirds of people with dementia are women.
• The proportion of people with dementia doubles for every 5 year age group.
• One third of people over 95 have dementia.
• 60,000 deaths a year are directly attributable to dementia.
• Delaying the onset of dementia by 5 years would reduce deaths directly attributable to dementia by 30,000 a year.
• The financial cost of dementia to the UK is over £17 billion a year.
• Family carers of people with dementia save the UK over £6 billion a year.
• 64% of people living in care homes have a form of dementia.
• Two thirds of people with dementia live in the community while one third live in a care home.
Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity and make sure Gift Aid is reclaimed on every eligible donation by a UK taxpayer. So it’s the most efficient way to donate - I raise more, whilst saving time and cutting costs for the charity.
So please dig deep and donate now.