Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.
I am swimming the English Channel in August 2013 to show my support for and to celebrate my inspirational friends and family who have fought cancer. Sadly, despite bravery, courage and dignity some have lost their fights, and brilliantly some have had the all clear. Some are still fighting. They will be my driving force when training gets tough and the swim seems unachieveable.
The English Channel is an iconic swim. In a straight line it is 21 miles from Dover to France, but often swims cover 30 - 40 miles, due to the tides. I will be challenged by the distance, water temperature, tides, winds, salt, large ships, wildlife and much much more.
For my swim I will be wearing a specially printed swimming costume. When you sponsor me you are able to include a name, in your message, that will be printed on the costume that I wear to swim the Channel. This could be in memory of someone you love or care about, who has been lost to cancer, or to celebrate someone who has been given the all clear.
My training so far includes:
- Between 25 - 50km a week over 6 - 10 swims (often twice a day)
- Over 600,000 metres of swimming in pools and open water since November 2012 (my aim is to hit 1 million before the swim in August)
- Swimming in water temperatures as low as 0.5 degrees!!!!
- Completing the 2swim4life 24 hour swim challenge (a mile every hour for 24 hours, in water temperatures of only 16 degrees and an air temp that reached below zero at times!) in April 2013
- Winning the female 4 mile Ivan Percial Open Water swim (in 12 degrees) and placing 3rd overall in May 2013
- Placing 6th overall in the 450m endurance event of the UK Cold Water Championships in January 2013
- The 450m endurance event at the Chill Swim in February 2013
- A 20 mile / 12 hour swim in Windermere
- Being part of a successful 5 person relay to cross the English Channel in August 2012
- Support swimming for a successful solo English Channel swim in October 2012
- A mile in the coldest lake in Britain (Llyn Lldaw in Snowdon)
Amongst many other swims, events and challenges!
I only have 10 weeks left before my tide opens and I can't wait to share the ups and downs of this journey with you at www.ellathemermaid.wordpress.com
On the blog above you will find details of my training, swims, sponsors, product recommendations and much more...
Many many many thanks for your support and donation for Cancer Research UK.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity and make sure Gift Aid is reclaimed on every eligible donation by a UK taxpayer. So it’s the most efficient way to donate - I raise more, whilst saving time and cutting costs for the charity.
So please dig deep and donate now. Thank you!!!