Thanks for taking the time to visit our JustGiving page.
The Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) is a partnership project to record archaeological objects found by members of the public whilst out metal-detecting, walking, gardening or going about their daily work in England and Wales. These finds are often from areas otherwise unlikely to be investigated by professional archaeologists, thus bringing to light new sites and those that are little known.
Over a million objects have now been recorded by the PAS since 1997 at https://finds.org.uk/database. This data is incredibly useful to archaeologists, allowing them not only to understand better the historic landscape, but also how people worked and lived in the past. However, these new finds can only properly contribute to archaeological knowledge if they are offered for recording.
Many of you have asked how you can help support the PAS over the past 18 years and with your help through Just Giving we can continue re-writing the archaeology and history of England, Wales and your local areas.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity. So it’s the most efficient way to donate – saving time and cutting costs for the charity.
The PAS aims to:
- promote the maximum public interest and benefit from the recovery, recording and research of portable antiquities
- promote best practice by finders/landowners and archaeologists/museums in the discovery, recording and conservation of finds made by the public
- in partnership with museums and others, raise awareness among the public of recording archaeological finds in their context and facilitates research in them
- create partnerships between finders and museums/ archaeologists to increase participation in archaeology and advance our understanding of the past
- support the Treasure Act, and increases opportunities for museums to acquire archaeological finds for public benefit.