In 2018, cancer was responsible for almost 10 million deaths, around 1 in 6 globally.
And in the UK alone, around 164,000 people die each year from cancer, that's around 450 every day. Cancer accounts for more than a quarter (28%) of all deaths in the UK.
However, more people than ever are beating cancer thanks to research. Cancer Research UK are fighting over 200 types of this disease, helping save millions of lives by discovering new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer.
Each year, I try to raise awareness and campaign for improvements in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer - and I raise money for the lifesaving work Cancer Research UK undertake, challenging myself to do something (often a little crazy) to achieve this.
Since 2010, with the incredible support and generosity of colleagues, friends and family, I have raised almost £40,000 for Cancer Research UK. My goal is to reach £50,000 by the the end of 2019, to coincide with a special birthday milestone!!
- I successfully completed Dryathlon® this January, and have been training hard for these forthcoming challenges since late last year.
- On Sunday 3rd March I’m running the Tokyo Marathon followed by my 6th Hastings Half Marathon and then my 9th London Marathon (last year didn’t go quite to plan last year with an unintended spell on crutches)!
- Then on 13th July, I'll attempt my first ULTRAMARATHON - a 100 km (62 mile) trail - Race to the Stones, running this non-stop.
- Assuming I survive this, I'm taking part in the Marathon du Medoc in September - combining my love of running and wine (with some form of fancy dress thrown in) to make up for my abstinence in January.
- Finally…..because this year will be a somewhat significant birthday, stay tuned for a further ‘hair-raising’ challenge in autumn.
One day everyone will beat cancer, the more research we do, the sooner that day will come.
Discoveries can’t be unmade. Progress can’t be undone. Every breakthrough inspires the next.
Thank you for supporting me to bring forward the day we beat cancer.
Cancer Research UK receive no government funding. Their life-saving work relies on the goodwill, amazing generosity and support of others.
Cancer Research UK is a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666) and the Isle of Man (1103).
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.