DAVID ATKINS, CEO HAMMERSON PLC
As we enter our seventh year of partnership with HHA, I'm delighted to announce the launch of a Company-wide fundraising initiative, the Anniversary Appeal. Over the past seven years, we have achieved a great deal together and I'm proud of all our colleagues - particularly those that made trips to Haiti in 2011 and 2014 to lend their support on the ground. Whilst there is much to be celebrated, we recognise there is still much to do.
The Anniversary Appeal, which marks HHA's tenth birthday and Hammerson's 75th, reinforces our long-term commitment to supporting HHA's on-going mission.
HAMMERSON AND HHA - THE STORY SO FAR
For the last seven years Hammerson has been HHA's closest corporate partner. Together the two groups have achieved some significant outcomes that should be celebrated during these anniversaries:
- Building a ward after the 2010 earthquake that was used to establish Haiti's first Spinal Cord Injury Unit for people left paralysed by the earthquake;
- Assisting in the completion of HHA's maternity and neonatal unit, which is now one of the busiest birthing centres in North Haiti, delivering over 1,100 babies in 2015 and 1,600 in 2016;
- Funding HHA's emergency cholera intervention in 2010/11 which allowed HHA to reduce the cholera related mortality rate in the region from 13% to less than 0.5%; and
- Sending two Hammerson teams to Haiti to assist with HHA's on-going efforts. This included supporting one of the charity's partially paralysed patients from the earthquake competing at the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
THE ANNIVERSARY APPEAL
We need your help to support these important projects:
- 40% of funds raised will help HHA build a new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for premature babies in Haiti, to mark Hammerson's 75th Anniversary. Haiti has the highest rates of infant mortality in the Western Hemisphere and HHA's current neonatal unit is well over capacity. A new, fully equipped facility will help save the lives of thousands of babies in the future;
- Alongside the ongoing work in Haiti, HHA has recently initiated some projects in South Sudan and northern Uganda. In light of the current refugee crisis (the worst in Africa) and the food insecurity (40% of South Sudan urgently need food assistance), 35% of funds raised will support HHA's growing vision through this emergency response, supporting vulnerable refugees through nutrition, education and disability care; and
- 25% of the Anniversary Appeal funds will help run HHA's Maternity & Paediatric unit in Haiti through 2017, meaning thousands of mothers, children and babies will be provided with life-saving healthcare during our anniversaries.
THE HAMMERSON PRIZE
Every year, HHA honours staff in Haiti who have made an outstanding contribution to the work of the hospital, whether this be a doctor or cleaner. To mark Hammerson's 75th Anniversary, HHA will commence with an annual Hammerson Award for the staff member at the hospital who had made the most outstanding contribution to our efforts. Hammerson staff will be involved in choosing which staff should receive this award.
If your company/office would like to make an offline donation to support this Anniversary Appeal, please send cheques made payable to 'Hope Health Action’ to:
Doug Cleary, Hammerson plc, Aquis House, 49-51 Blagrave Street, Reading, RG11BU